The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Powder coating

Has anyone powder coated their original Rally 2 rims? I thought you could not do more than one color when you were powder coating. I wanted to do all 3 colors. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 AM

When I had them on my car I only powder coated the silver then masked and rattle can painted the Charcoal. Lasted a long time.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 PM

Yes, you can powder coat 2 or 3 coats no problem. Use the correct high-heat tape to mask with. Then finish with a clear.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

The powder coat place I was going to use said they could not do it anyway. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Suspended

If they don't know how or tell you they can't I'd find a different place to do your powder coating. They don't sound like they really know what their doing.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks rexs73gto, does anyone know a powder coat place in New Jersey that can do the 3 original colors for the rally 2 rims? Thanks.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't believe you can powder coat anything but bare metal as the surface has to have an electrostatic charge to adhere the powder. This is why parts are media blasted so as to be free of any finish before powder coating. The powder is melted into a plastic coating by baking, so it seems intuitive you would melt the underlying powder coat finish trying to apply a second coat or color.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

I had my 8 lug rims powder coated Satin Black when I restored the wheels.

Then when I took my rims back to the tyre place to get the tyres remounted, they refused to do it on the grounds the tyres may not remain fully sealed against the rims in an adverse situation. Such as panic braking or the car sliding for some reason or other.

I easily found another tyre place to do the job but I've heard that other guys here have also encountered the same resistance to fitting tyres to powder coated rims.

I guess they might have a valid point immediately after the tyres are fitted but I can't see it remaining an issue after the tyres have settled down into the rims and have had some use.

Ian

Old 09-20-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I don't believe you can powder coat anything but bare metal as the surface has to have an electrostatic charge to adhere the powder. This is why parts are media blasted so as to be free of any finish before powder coating. The powder is melted into a plastic coating by baking, so it seems intuitive you would melt the underlying powder coat finish trying to apply a second coat or color.
I've powder coated previously powder coated parts a number of times. Sometimes I will do a part and realize after baking that it is a little thin in some areas. Just hook up your equipment and go. No problem getting the new powder to adhere. There is no concern about melting the previous layer. It's already hardened and does not flow again when reheated.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierManVA View Post
I've powder coated previously powder coated parts a number of times. Sometimes I will do a part and realize after baking that it is a little thin in some areas. Just hook up your equipment and go. No problem getting the new powder to adhere. There is no concern about melting the previous layer. It's already hardened and does not flow again when reheated.
Aha! So the powdercoat is a thermosetting plastic, not a thermo-plastic. Makes sense.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have powdercoated several sets of Rally 2's. I sandblasted them first and then baked them. The first color I did was the dove grey powder on the backside of wheels. The next was the Argent silver powder on the front side. I then used the masking sets and painters tape and painted in the charcoal center section. Last I covered the entire wheel in clear coat. They look the same after ten years.