THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got that definition from an old car magazine, that the writer was summarizing what GTO was translated from the Italian language, and it isn't the correct definition. I guess that will teach me to check writers stories before repeating them, which is what I did. Sorry for the confusion.

Still the FIA requires that the GTO car be built from street car production parts, no tube frames, no one of parts built explicitly for race cars. The parts have to come from mass produced cars, and the sum of those parts need to have 100 complete cars built by the manufacturer, to be sold to the public, suitable for legal street use.

In NASCAR chrysler had to build 500 superbirds, and 500 daytona chargers to be considered legal in NASCAR. ford had to build 500 Talladega torinos so that the winged and slope nosed cars were legal in competition. The new rule for 1971 which eliminated the aero cars was maximum engine sizes was 305 CI, which eliminated any of the aero cars beginning in 1971.

So all of the Pontiac GTOs were made from preexisting parts that Pontiac, or GM, had already used in their mass produced cars, the definition was met on both generations of the car, as well as the Holden HSV GTO, which debuted in 2001. I have no idea if Holden registered their HSV GTO with FIA.

If you want to nit pick about the definition, by all means do it.

The cars built by the GM divisions does meet the FIA guidelines, be it 20th, or 21st century models. That was the point of the post, all the cars sold by Pontiac no matter what year, meets the FIA requirements, and can wear the GTO nameplate legitimately.

I should have verified the meaning, and not taken the definition of a 1960s magazine writers definition, and interpretation from Italian.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 06-20-2023 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The int. in my sons 04 is in great condition, however it does have the small seam split on the rear uppers. Rest of the leather is really good. He was very particular in what he wanted. An 04 in an oddball colour. He found a really nice purple one but couldnt reach a deal. Red was about his 4th choice and there was a really nice one that we found but ALL of the seat stitching was coming apart so that was a hard pass as the seller did not want to discount for a new interior.

On the related note, I had never heard of the Chevy SS until a fellow forum member was talking about them. Lo and behold yesterday on my way home from work one passed us.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope

Old 06-21-2023, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Holden never called anything a BMW killer, because that's just lame.
There's a little bit of truth in the the statement Holden was called a BMW killer but I think it goes back to around 1978 when Holden introduced the HZ series cars which had the Radial Tuned Suspension. One of the car magazines of the day, (I think it was Wheels), did a handling comparison test against a BMW. Cant recall the BMW model but it was probably a series 3 sedan. In the eyes of the magazine writers the Holden ran rings over the BM but mainly only in handling.

This has been a very interesting thread. I seem to recall back when the 04-05-06 GTO's were on sale in the US, I only seemed to read negative comments about them in these forums. Now its seemingly going the other way.

For what its worth, over here I own a 2003 Holden Caprice. 5.7LS, all the bells & whistles when it was ordered new but I bought it when it was 15 years old and it had just got to the stage where it was on a very rapid downhill slide. Bought it from a guy who had only recently bought it, he had lowered it, 20" wheels, modified the induction etc. But it was exactly the car I wanted, right colour, off white interior, sunroof etc. Fortunately for me (and the car), the snoozer had got in trouble financially and put it up for sale. I bought it replace my 1999 Holden Caprice which was totalled by a hit-run driver.
I immediately sourced all the original parts I needed and put the 2003 back to stock and I love it. Super comfortable car, HUGE back seat area so my very aged parents can get in and its in perfect original condition now.

BUT, in the early parts of this thread mention was made of parts being harder to find. Same thing here now. 20 or even 10 year old Holdens are becoming rarer and rarer on the roads. The good ones are at the stage where values have stabilised and are now getting more and more expensive to buy. I'm sure it will be the same in the US with the late model GTO's. I'll be keeping my Caprice for a long time to come I hope.

Back in about 1974 I owned for a brief time a 1969 Monaro. Only a 6 cylinder basic plain model for which I paid A$1200. Very soon thereafter I sold it for A$1700 which I thought was marvellous. That car today would easily pull A$40,000 at auction so I guess I wasn't so clever after all!!

In regard to the question about 48 2018 SS models, well no such thing. The very last Holden went down the production line on October 20th, 2017.

Finally, in regard to 72projectbird commenting he thinks the late GTO's look pretty cool done up like a Holden HSV. In my case I have removed all the Holden badges from my 2003 Caprice and replaced them with gold Chevrolet badges front and rear and air bag. A very good friend of mine owns a 2017 Holden Caprice, documented as the very last black one produced. He has replaced all the Holden badges himself and fitted Chevrolet badges and air bag. But he has sold all his Holden badges to a guy in the US who owns a 2016 Chevrolet Caprice ex-cop car. Same US guy has spent a lot of money buying interior parts etc from over here to turn his ex-cop car into a copy of a Holden Caprice. Different strokes for different folks.

Ian

Old 06-21-2023, 11:06 PM

One of the reasons I never looked at buying a 04-06 new was the 2000 Bonneville SSEI I had was such a piece of junk. We had multiple issues. Swore I'd never buy GM again.

Drove Fords until my GMC pickup that I got last year. And the 06 GTO recently.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Other than the interior stitching failing, which I could have headed off if I had just conditioned the leather more often, mine has been a great car at 145,000 miles since I bought it new.

On my third battery, replaced brakes on all 4 wheels once, and about 4 sets of tires, one water pump, carrier bearing support once on the driveshaft. I however, don't drive it like a 16 YO kid either. I run it hard, but there is a line between that, and beating the crap out of it.

I used to be that 16 YO kid....LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-22-2023, 02:16 AM
Suspended

Stock up on any genuine and NOS spares that suit, they are hard to get locally too and no aftermarket for most.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
When did I become a 2018 Chevy SS expert?

That 2017 is something to think about. I'd be interested in learning the details on it to decide if it's a toy car I'd want to pick up.

I've started looking for a G8/GTO/Grand Prix V8 GXP, but would consider a V8 SS, a CTSV or maybe the right BMW.
Sorry about that Champ. The 2018 question I couldn't edit out.

I guarantee the 2017 SS is no toy. If it was the guy that owned it, actually owned 2 of them, would have ditched them both. He said if it was a jet fighter, it would be on the level of a Mig 21 or Mig 23. He did own a pair of Mig-21s and flew both of them. Also owned 2 Mig-23s, that he never flew. His partner did fly one and tho nothing bothered him, he did say he was a bit nervous flying the one that was flyable. And for a long time, he was the only qualified Mig 23 pilot in the US. I was a groundcrew member for him for 15 years.

I probably won't see the SS until August. I asked to get photos of it and its mileage, but was told no. No one can get to even look at it for now. His will still has to go thru Probate Court.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary

I refer to 'toy' cars as vehicles that are not going to be my daily driver. They are 'special' cars that are fun to own and drive.