The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Default 71 Lemans floor pan patches

Hey guys,

yes, i have searched and searched but there is so many posts containing "floor pan" its impossible to find.

Just looking for an answer on the best repro front floor pan patches. I know they wont be perfect, and dont even care how good the stamping is, just want some nice thick reproduction sheet metal.

What ones do you guys use or prefer?

Thanks!
Sam.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most of the aftermarket stuff is made by only a few companies. Not sure if the floor pans for chevelle are the same as a lemans so I bought through a pontiac vender (performance years). This is the type of the item I usually get at the swap meet because shipping cost is usually on the high side.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Thank you!

Yeah was wondering the same about chevelle floors, i figure they would be the same also.

About to order a Goodmark piece, will see how it goes in before i order another one. Hoping to patch all 4 floor parts. Very small rust areas, dont want to remove whole floor.

Plus i should be safe doing one corner at a time since the body is on a rotisserie.

Thanks again,
Cheers
Sam.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

I just did some foot well patches on my 1971 T-37 and butt welded everything in. I used goodmark partial pans and just cut out what I needed. The gauge thickness was the same and the stampings were very close. Just some basic hammer/dolly work on some of the bead roll/stiffner ribs and it was good to go.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With respect to metal thickness, my observations on replacement sheet metal panels are that if the panel is bare metal with no EDP or primer, it typically is a US stamping using thicker, original gauge sheet metal, and that if it comes EDP coated it is typically a Taiwan stamping that is a bit thinner metal.

This is not say to say the thinner panels are worse, some are quite good stampings and fit well with minor trimming.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968firebird455 View Post
I just did some foot well patches on my 1971 T-37 and butt welded everything in. I used goodmark partial pans and just cut out what I needed. The gauge thickness was the same and the stampings were very close. Just some basic hammer/dolly work on some of the bead roll/stiffner ribs and it was good to go.
Funny, mine actually is a 71 T-37 also, just didnt bother mentioning. And thats exactly what ill be using the pan for, just to cut out a few pieces here and there. Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks!
Sam.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Just to bookend this thread, i ordered a passenger front patch panel and it came the next day from summit (free shipping!) and wow, i was expecting a LOT worse. Apparently a Goodmark panel and without even trimming the edge i threw it in the car just to take a look, and it matches up better than i ever expected, it just "locked" in ontop of the stamping... Thanks guys, hopefully this might help anyone else making the decision. As i dont think ill have ANY issues getting this to fit well enough.

Cheers
Sam.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
With respect to metal thickness, my observations on replacement sheet metal panels are that if the panel is bare metal with no EDP or primer, it typically is a US stamping using thicker, original gauge sheet metal, and that if it comes EDP coated it is typically a Taiwan stamping that is a bit thinner metal.

This is not say to say the thinner panels are worse, some are quite good stampings and fit well with minor trimming.

Its true for the quarter skins and full quarters, I checked and most of the pans are the same thickness(I found it true in the trunk).

I think the skins are thinner because of the complexity of the stampings.

I got US spectre trunk pans and they were alot thicker than stock and the stamping was horrible.

the other non edp trunk pan I got was horrible also... I had to send it back.

My experience is.

for 70-72 sheet metal parts

Full skins Taiwan= horrible and thinner
Full quarters Taiwan= great stamping but thinner
7 piece trunk pans Tiawan= stock thickness, great quality, winner
2 piece spectre trunk US = alot thicker, one side good, other side unusable
1 piece center trunk Taiwan= normal thickness, not a full pan, okay quality but be VERY careful about what metal you need(its short in the back, front and sides).
3 piece non edp coated US trunk= stock thickness,horrible quality, absolutely the worst
Full chevelle cowl, Taiwan= awesome copy
Trunk filler, tiawan = stock thickness, edp coated, great quality piece

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's pretty sad that the Taiwan stuff is better. I was expecting the opposite.
But thanks for the info.
Not that I should be needing any more panels on this car. :-)
Russ