Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Blower manifold question

All the Pontiac blower manifolds I've looked at have a large runner for each pair of intake ports, which seems to leave no choice but to cut the divider out of the intake gasket and bolt the manifold on.

But, it seems to me that leaving the port divider's flat face in the intake flow path would be a big flow impediment. Has anyone rounded or tapered the port divider in the heads for better flow, or is there nothing to be gained by that? Is my concern unfounded?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smooth flow is a lot less important in a boosted application than it is in a naturally aspirated engine, but it would never hurt to smooth out the flow a little.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've cut the heads port divider wall right out, back to a depth of about 1 1/2", then I've rounded off the forward edge of the wall. This is on a turbo combo, but the dual quad manifold I used also has one large runner for two head ports,just like a blower manifold has.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A blower blends air fuel pretty good... just rounding the divider should be adequate.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the replies oldgoats, taff2 and Bruce. I will cut my divider walls back a bit and round them off. Seems more efficient than leaving them flat with square corners.