Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks and sounds great! Nice job

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM

I hear you about the giggling school girls. My brother apprenticed with me during the last half of my build and was there during all of the initial tests and tunes. I think my brother's laughter was dressed with a bit of nervousness. Perhaps he didn't think I could keep it between the ditches:O

Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default nice

Sounds Great Throttle responce seemed to be right there.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwide View Post
I hear you about the giggling school girls. My brother apprenticed with me during the last half of my build and was there during all of the initial tests and tunes. I think my brother's laughter was dressed with a bit of nervousness. Perhaps he didn't think I could keep it between the ditches:O
Nothing wrong with that deal, a good YSi with 20 pounds of boost can make 1200 hp and would make most people a bit nervous in the passenger seat. I have seen fearless drivers "skered" when they were sitting in the passenger seat. They usually had a case of hick-ups afterward, but no nervous laughter. (;>)

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Here in Live Oak, there's an annual Live Oak Fall Festival with booths, games, FOOD and live bands AND a car show that usually draws a handful of local enthusiasts' cars, not more than 25-30 cars. This year and for future years to come, the car show has been renamed to honor my dad, Don Bright, a true car guy's car guy who was always helping organize the show and make things better each year. Well we put the feelers out in our "community" of drag racers and car guys and ended up with a tick under 100 cars. We're already lookin' to increase that next year, as this year we only forewarned people for about ~3 weeks prior to the show. Here's some pic's of a couple of the cars that made it, including a certain Blue Goat:

Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Well I noticed last night I had an issue will excessive blow by so I did a compression check and all the cylinders except #3 were 145-150psi #3 was 60psi. So I guess she's gonna have to come apart to see what happened. Everything seems fine as far as the plug is not showing oil, signs of detonation or being lean. No real evidence of a blown head gasket either. I think I may have broke the piston or a ring not real sure. I will know for sure in a week or so. I will post pics and keep you guys posted on what happened.

Mike Bright
Live Oak CA.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Well broke a ring land so that explains the blow by and lack of compression in #3. Oil pressure issue looks to be a bad sender (going back to the good old reliable mechanical guage). Found a new piston at summit after four calls and about an hour of argueing with them that I had the right part #. Bearings look good so I will be taking it to the track next Saturday. I will post the times and maybe some pics and video.

Mike Bright
Live Oak CA.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 AM

Took some shots of the (mild) carnage, head gasket "looked" fine from as-installed view but, when we flipped it up the underside of the gasket that was stuck to the deck surface (not the head surface side) showed evidence of compromise. The rod bearing had some chatter that was juuuust through the babbit, nothin' you could feel with your fingerprint though. Speakin' of which, how 'bout that rod journal, that's 12 years of not-so-nice usage, including two bottles-worth of 150hp N2o passes. Good thing my buddy and I can't put an engine together to save our lives, huh?!

Shortblock's back together again, should be an assembled longblock by end of day tomorrow, stabbed in car and finish the details this coming week. Whoohoo!!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Well finally made it to the track! The car ran pretty good except for spinning all the way through 1st and 2nd. Best 1/8 mile past was a 7.14 @ 100 1.64 60ft best of the day all the other passes were right at 2 sec. The car still spun bad at the top of first and into second. The best 1/4 was a not to impressing 11.44 @ 123 the track had gone away by the time I made full passes. Kept the timing on the conservative side 30 locked out and 18 at 12psi. I know there is more in it just need to go to the chassis dyno. More updates to come.

Mike Bright
Live Oak CA.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM

Good job getting it back together. I know its tough to tear them down after you've spent so much time trying to "get it right". A few more degrees timing could get you another 50hp, but go slow. You don't want to tear it down again! LOL

Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks I was hoping to squeeze high 10s out of her but I need alot more suspension tuning and a little more power. Can't expect miracles from only 4 pass on a new setup. Hope to build the good motor this next year.

Mike Bright

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Boost Engineer

A buddy who works for Autometer (509 Chebby) years ago with a YSi went mid 9s.

Last couple of years, "Mike" and his Chebby Nova (one of Brian H's (bad69bird) pals) went well into the 8s with a YSi. You have a lot more supercharger left.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Your 100% right Tom we made 840 at the wheels with my friends 565 and a YSi still not running the blower at max impeller speed. I just need to change a few things in my motor. This winter I plan on a new short block with forged internals, edelbrock heads and a cam better suited for a boosted application. Going to have to do alot of side jobs and live on balogna sandwiches.

Mike Bright

Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Dyno Numbers!!

Got the car on my chassis dyno finally! Put down 555hp @ 5300 and 602lbft @ 4200. After a few more pulls and the blower getting a little heat in it the torque fell off a bit to 580lbft. Torque curve was flat as a table from 4200 all the way to 5100. Air fuel was 11.9-12.0 through the whole pull. Couldn't be happier. Oh yeah that was on 91 octane and 25 degrees of total timing @ 10psi. i'm gonna play with it a little more next week and have video and a dyno sheet to post. Specs on the motor are in the first post of this thread if you want more motor details. Mark @ Luhn Performance did an A++++++ job on the brackets I can't say enough about his work it's awesome! Forgot there is a video of one of the pulls on the business Facebook page. Here's the Facebook page address www.facebook.com/outlawperformanceanddyno don't forget to like the page!

Last edited by 4RSFEDGTO; 10-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.