Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Oil feed location

Where are you turbo guys pullimg you feed line from. I pulled mine from back by the distributor for my YSi and now my oil pressure is ready really low. I read oil pressure from down by the oil filter. Is there a better place to pull it from or am I somehow getting a false reading from my pressure guage because of where it is reading from. Don't see how the pressure should be effected by where I pull it from but I can't figur it out. Was seeing 20psi at idle warm now it is about 5psi. Seems to read about 10psi lower throughout the rpms. Should I be worried.

Thanks
Mike Bright

Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

All of our TurboForce kits and my personal turbo setups use the distributor location. you may actually have low oil pressure. Plug the oil feed line and see what your oil pressure does.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Your readings do not sound right or good. On the H-O Racing TurboForce kits, I recommended taking the oil feed to turbo off the block by the distributor, but if that didn't prove doable (3/8NPT plug refusing to budge), then T-ing off the filter oil pressure sender was 2nd choice.

In either case, NO ONE ever reported a pressure drop like you have described. Maybe the turbo you are using has a bad bearing which is acting like a big leak? On my 76 Bird TurboForce Restoration Project car, it has 20psi at hot idle and 60psi at speed, taking the feed off of a "T" on the oil filter housing.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm running a Vortech YSi not a turbo but I wanted to get you turbo guys to give me your input. I do have low oil pressure but nothing has changed but adding the feed line. I didn't think that that was the issue. I just wanted to ease my mind. I guess I will change the oil and cut open the filter and see if there is anything funny going on with the bearings. I'm going to change the gauge also. If that doesn't change I guess the new motor will get done quicker!

Thanks
Mike Bright

Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try bleeding your gauge! Not familiar with YSI's oil demands but I wouldnt rule out oil taking path of least resistance and interfering with your gauge reading. Unhook your belt and temporarily plug the oil feed to the blower and see if pressure comes back. A call to Vortech may be worthwhile as well.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use the distributor location on my bird, when I went from na to turbo I didnt see any pressure drop. On my ford I went from a vortech t-trim to a s400 turbo and also didnt see any pressure drop. When you installed your return line to the pan did you maybe get some crap in there holding open the oil pump pressure relief valve open?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Also curious what size feed line you are using? I agree though.....you shouldnt be seeing an oil pressure drop.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Boost Engineer

The Vortech Supercharger has only a .040" orifice feeding oil to the supercharger.
No where near enough to cause the pressure drop you are talking about (IF you have the brass extension/ orifice installed in the side of the supercharger. Who did you get the supercharger from? From Luhn?

Post up a picture of how the oil line goes into the Supercharger.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Try bleeding your gauge! Not familiar with YSI's oil demands but I wouldnt rule out oil taking path of least resistance and interfering with your gauge reading. Unhook your belt and temporarily plug the oil feed to the blower and see if pressure comes back. A call to Vortech may be worthwhile as well.
Agree on removing the S/C belt and reading the pressure at the gage by itself.

The Vortech Supercharger has only a .040" orifice feeding oil to the supercharger.
No where near enough to cause the pressure drop you are talking about (IF you have the brass extension/ .040" orifice installed in the side of the supercharger). Did you have the Supercharger or did you buy it from Luhn Performance?

Post up a picture of how the oil line goes into the Supercharger.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM

I got the supercharger from a friend. I know the history of the blower I built and tuned the car it came off of. I am running the .040 orfice that comes with the supercharger and it goes in the side of the blower at the 3 o'clock position if you are standing in front of the motor. The feed line is I believe 4an. I think my problem is more related to beating the crap out of a 12 year old motor with 11 psi of boost. More worried about hurting the blower than anything. The new motor is in the process having to buy a new blower would set the motor build back alot. Don't get me wrong I don't think the feed line is the issue just making sure.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Suspended

if its gonna possibly set you back I'd consider just unbolting the blower and putting it away for the new motor. Your blower lives on the same oil the motor does and if theres anything going wrong....

After actually double checking the oil pressure as was mentioned.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RSFEDGTO View Post
I got the supercharger from a friend. I know the history of the blower I built and tuned the car it came off of. I am running the .040 orifice that comes with the supercharger and it goes in the side of the blower at the 3 o'clock position if you are standing in front of the motor. The feed line is I believe 4an. I think my problem is more related to beating the crap out of a 12 year old motor with 11 psi of boost. More worried about hurting the blower than anything. The new motor is in the process having to buy a new blower would set the motor build back alot. Don't get me wrong I don't think the feed line is the issue just making sure.
You will not kill the supercharger unless you plug up the .040" orifice and the blower gets no oil. The air filter should protect the impeller side of the compressor.

Yep, low oil pressure probably means you probably have wounded something in the motor or the oil pump bypass is partially stuck open by debris.

Take the blower off and work on the engine first. As was said first step is verify the oil pressure is very low at the distributor take-off hole. Change the oil filter and see if the oil pressure comes back up.

Tom Vaught

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Well not to concerned with the oil pressure issue anymore. Noticed last night I had excessive blow bye so I did a compression check and all the cylinders were 145-150psi except #3 which was 60psi. No water in oil, no oil in water, radiator had no abnormal pressure, plug doesn't show detonation or oil that I can see. I think I may have damaged the piston. Try to pull it apart this week and see. Any of you guys have a guess on what might have happened. Oh also the plug doesn't look like it went lean either. Timing is locked at 36 with the btm pulling 2 degrees for every pound of boost starting at 3psi.

Mike Bright
Live Oak CA.