Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Supercharging 535

Considering supercharging my 535 72 TA, I don't want it sticking above the 7" hood scoop I already have on the car so am looking at doing it with a 510 Whipple rear entry supercharger with direct port EFI. Has anyone done this before? Problem seems to be that available manifolds don't have room for the fuel/injector rails.Can I space up the charger from the manifold to give this space without causing any problems?
Can a standard after market EFI throttle body from say Holley be mounted side ways or do they only work level?
Interested in any information available.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd consider using regular injectors under valve covers at port entry...it will take some custom multiple piece covers and baffling, to seal off injectors and wires from oil and still seal against cover rails but I think its a possibility to explore. I'd point injectors at valve.

Throttle body injection doesn't "care" how its positioned to operate(good chance it could work upside down) but your engine will want balanced fuel/air mix.

I used to live near a guy with a 2nd gen 'bird running an 871 on a 455...I don't think it stuck up 7" above hood with carbs(no air cleaners though).

Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fwiw, unless your going for the look, it would be far easier to package a procharger or go turbo(s). More power per psi boost as well.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks for replies, interesting idea, not sure I want to machine and weld up my hi-ports but I'll look into it.
-
I thought the benefit of a Whipple type supercharger is that they build boost from idle whereas prochargers need rpm for boost, as this is a street/strip car will they work as well over the whole rev band?

Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Personally with my new 555 twin turbo build in my 73 TA I will be trying not to build much boost down low. Big hp cars are often retarding timing and other tricks to keep wheelspin minimal off the line. Are you thinking you'll be able to hook it all down low?

Also, why would you need to weld your high ports?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWarp View Post
Also, why would you need to weld your high ports?
If he were to try getting injectors under valve cover. see post 2

Old 08-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Suspended

ahhhh, gotcha. I saw that but didnt realize that is what he was referring to. No need to weld the heads going turbo or procharger.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Consider putting the fuel in ahead of the supercharger at the TB.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Senior Chief

I've been considering this using a GT500 supercharger (rear entry, side mount throttle body.) Numerous fabrication challenges here, and many unknowns -- HEI and water neck clearance, fuel rail/injector clearance, which intake, custom serpentine setup, manifold spacer, correct compression vs timing etc. Pretty pricey to start buying all these components for test-fitting only to discover insurmountable issues, but really that's the only way to know for sure. I guess that's the nature of custom builds ...

It would definitely be cool and unique. Guaranteed to be the only one on your block, not like all those sissy LS swaps. However, in the long run an LSA transplant would probably be less headaches and run like butta right out of the gate. You could fight with that Pontiac for many moons ...

07 Escalade EXT
Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM

My concern was lag with a centrifugal type blower?
So without over driving the blowers to much, how much boost can I expect between a procharger and whipple, I had assumed it would be about the same?
KRE have done a blower manifold with room to put injectors on the ports, I'll give them a call to see if they still supply it.
Which is best then, injectors on the ports close to the valve or under the TB? If I go under the TB then I can just use an after market blower manifold.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOUK View Post
My concern was lag with a centrifugal type blower?
So without over driving the blowers to much, how much boost can I expect between a procharger and whipple, I had assumed it would be about the same?
KRE have done a blower manifold with room to put injectors on the ports, I'll give them a call to see if they still supply it.
Which is best then, injectors on the ports close to the valve or under the TB? If I go under the TB then I can just use an after market blower manifold.
The more fuel you put through the supercharger the more power you'll make. Only reason to put it in the ports, in a performance build like yours, is to balance out the cylinders due to uneven distribution through the supercharger and manifold. The Whpple's are pretty good in that respect. If you're running gas, non-intercooled, you'll run into a heat barrier well before you have distribution concerns. The off tthe shelf BDS manifold will work great for your application.

As far as boost with the Whipple... it has 25PSI internal compression, displaces about 480CI per revolutioin, and has a rated max RPM of 12K. So... depending on your engine size and overall engine breathing capability you can determine a ballpark drive ratio that will put you up close to the 25PSI - if you're looking for max power. Or you can run it slower to whatever boost target you like, but 25PSI is the practical limit for the 510.

Possibly you're not asking me... but figured I'd share regardless. Hope this helps, Gdlk!

Last edited by Torment; 08-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Glad to see a 5.0L (S/C displacement) Whipple Supercharger owner post up.

Glad it is working well for you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Glad to see a 5.0L (S/C displacement) Whipple Supercharger owner post up.

Glad it is working well for you.

Tom V.
Yes, been 5 years now with the Whipple - excellent product. Thanks again for the direct connection back then.