Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Crankshaft????

What crankshaft are you guys running in turbo engines over 1500HP? I have an eagle 4340 crank now but I think I'm gonna need a stronger one for my setup...

Old 05-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Moldex Crankshafts is what I have always owned but Bryant, Crower, Kellogg, would also work at that power level.

Crower is close to you Mike.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RSFEDGTO View Post
What crankshaft are you guys running in turbo engines over 1500HP? I have an eagle 4340 crank now but I think I'm gonna need a stronger one for my setup...
MY race car has a Moldex crank in it. I've made hundreds of passes with it! Remember the block and rods are equally as important.

GTO George

Old 05-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The short block I am building now will have a Molnar crankshaft and a set of their turbo rods.
Don't know about 1500+ but this engine should make near 1500 if I put some boost to it.
http://www.molnartechnologies.com/cr...m-pontiac.html

Old 05-10-2017, 02:06 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Molnar is new to me. I could be wrong, but a forged Pontiac crank for less than $1,000 couldn't be of very "clean" 4340 could it?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Molnar is new to me. I could be wrong, but a forged Pontiac crank for less than $1,000 couldn't be of very "clean" 4340 could it?
Moldex Crankshaft has been using Billet material made from Timkin Ball Bearing Steel for many years. FOR A REASON

http://bryantracing.com/products/

TOP OF THE HOME PAGE of the link above.
"Crankshafts built with the highest quality USA made Timken Steel" FOR A REASON

You asked for a 1500 HP Crankshaft Not a 600-850 HP crankshaft

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
......I could be wrong, but a forged Pontiac crank for less than $1,000 couldn't be of very "clean" 4340 could it?
I'm running one now, so we'll see, I guess. I also run a crank support, though, and I kept my pulleys as close to the block as possible and I'm running a 4" stroke. When I bought the crank from Wade at BOP, he said the metal had been tested and was excellent.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got one of the Scat 4.00" forgings from BOP after TomV had the metal tested and said it was pretty clean, hoping mine will take 1400 hp...

Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom Molnar the man behind Molnar technologies has a long history in the rod and crankshaft industry.
CP pistons did a review of the rods and added some history on Tom Molnar.
The parts are china?/usa finished but look to have extra work performed.
My engine machinist really likes them.
http://cpbulletpistons.com/tom-molnar-rods-review.php

Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTOGeorge and Twooldgoats how much timing do you guys run?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I'm running one now, so we'll see, I guess. I also run a crank support, though, and I kept my pulleys as close to the block as possible and I'm running a 4" stroke. When I bought the crank from Wade at BOP, he said the metal had been tested and was excellent.

Jim
Yes, Jim, it was tested by Me at Ford and Wade and Mark's stuff that I tested was very good for a offshore crank compared to the other stuff that was out there. Not Moldex quality steel by any means but a LOT better than some of the stuff out there. That testing was done years ago. When the cranks first were offered.

Tom V.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
I run 32*, locked.

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Yes, Jim, it was tested by Me at Ford and Wade and Mark's stuff that I tested was very good for a offshore crank compared to the other stuff that was out there. Not Moldex quality steel by any means but a LOT better than some of the stuff out there. That testing was done years ago. When the cranks first were offered.

Tom V.
Thanks for doing that testing, Tom. Objective info can be hard to find. That was key to my getting a forged crank.

Jim

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 05-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I run 32*, locked.
Thank you!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Tom Molnar the man behind Molnar technologies has a long history in the rod and crankshaft industry.

I have had a few discussions with Tom Molnar at Molnar Technologies
http://www.molnartechnologies.com/

He was one of the "Brains" at Oliver Connecting Rods for years. Very good "How to make it correctly" kind of a hardware guy.

He offers his own connecting rods but I am sure he specs out the metal (Chinese) before he buys it for both his Rods and his Crankshafts. Then he does other mods to the parts:

"Our 4340 forged crankshafts are heat treated to increase tensile strength, shot peened to increase fatigue life, nitrided for wear resistance and 100% mag particle inspected to ensure against cracks."

So his stuff could be as good or better than the SCAT stuff (or not quite as good) but the effort he puts into the other operations (above) suggests that he would not skimp of dirty steel. The fact that the CP Pistons guys like his stuff says that the parts are pretty good.
CP Pistons and Carrillo Rods are one company ownership. Carrillo Rods are very good.

Just my thoughts on Tom Molnars stuff.

Tom V.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I was increasing it last year and ended up around 29 degrees....I tried 30 but it didn't seem to do any good! Remember every combo is different.

GTO George

Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm not running boosted or 1500HP but do run their rods and I was very impressed with the fit and finish.
Here's a little info about Molnar Technologies.

Tom Molnar was the Metallurgist and engineer for Oliver Rods and Cranks for over 20 years. He was the founder of K-1 Technologies and now he has opened his doors under his own name.

Molnar Crankshafts are 4340 steel, core hardened and tempered to reduce stress and optimize tensile strength. The crankshafts are made with a nitrating process for hardening rather than induction heat treated. This eliminates any softening between the journals and any post running deformation.

Forged and Billet 4340 Steel Crankshafts. Material properties are closely monitored for optimum performance. Counterweight placements designed for improved crankshaft performance. .125" fillet radii. Nitrated for improved bearing life. Straight hole oiling system for better lubrication. Size tolerances held to +/- .0001”. (1/10,000)

Molnar crankshafts also feature straight oil holes for the best oiling to the rod journals to insure you get the best crank for your money. Each Molnar crankshaft is magnetic particle inspected and held to a maximum tolerance of .0002” journal dimension. Counterweights are placed for optimal load reduction and ease of balancing making less work for you or your builder.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegto65 View Post
I'm not running boosted or 1500HP but do run their rods and I was very impressed with the fit and finish.
Here's a little info about Molnar Technologies.

Tom Molnar was the Metallurgist and engineer for Oliver Rods and Cranks for over 20 years. He was the founder of K-1 Technologies and now he has opened his doors under his own name.

Molnar Crankshafts are 4340 steel, core hardened and tempered to reduce stress and optimize tensile strength. The crankshafts are made with a nitrating process for hardening rather than induction heat treated. This eliminates any softening between the journals and any post running deformation.

Forged and Billet 4340 Steel Crankshafts. Material properties are closely monitored for optimum performance. Counterweight placements designed for improved crankshaft performance. .125" fillet radii. Nitrated for improved bearing life. Straight hole oiling system for better lubrication. Size tolerances held to +/- .0001”. (1/10,000)

Molnar crankshafts also feature straight oil holes for the best oiling to the rod journals to insure you get the best crank for your money. Each Molnar crankshaft is magnetic particle inspected and held to a maximum tolerance of .0002” journal dimension. Counterweights are placed for optimal load reduction and ease of balancing making less work for you or your builder.

Thanks for the info!

GTO George

Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
I got one of the Scat 4.00" forgings from BOP after TomV had the metal tested and said it was pretty clean, hoping mine will take 1400 hp...
I added Brian Baker's crank support to mine which gives some added insurance. I'm at 1244 or 1282 HP on the Wallace calculator now and I hope to push it some more this year. I've got several components "rated" at 1500 HP: crank, Powerglide and torque converter. Everything else should have a greater margin of error. Sooner or later, something will give.

Jim

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 05-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I added Brian Baker's crank support to mine which gives some added insurance. I'm at 1244 or 1282 HP on the Wallace calculator now and I hope to push it some more this year. I've got several components "rated" at 1500 HP: crank, Powerglide and torque converter. Everything else should have a greater margin of error. Sooner or later, something will give.

Jim
Jim who's glide are you running? I'm thinking about running a powerglide on my setup.