Old 06-12-2003, 07:07 AM

Is there some trick to removing the dash switches (headlights, lighter, wiper) on a 1966 pontiac catalina? I know with my 64 bonneville you just twist the outside nut and they pop right off. But I have tried with my catalina, and it dosen't seem to work.

Thanks,
- Nelson

Old 06-12-2003, 07:07 AM

Is there some trick to removing the dash switches (headlights, lighter, wiper) on a 1966 pontiac catalina? I know with my 64 bonneville you just twist the outside nut and they pop right off. But I have tried with my catalina, and it dosen't seem to work.

Thanks,
- Nelson

Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The headlight switch: You have to turn the lights on, while the switch is pulled out, stick one hand behind the dash onto the top of the switch and you will feel a small button, depress the button and pull on the switch and it will pop out. Use a flathead screwdriver on the smaller inner bezel and spin it off.

Wiper/Lighther/Stereo etc. : There is a small Allen head screw that holds them tight to the stud. Loosen them with an allen key and use a flathead screwdriver to remove the small inner bezel just like with the wiper.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 AM

What Joe Said....
try putting a small piece of masking tape over the blade end of the swrewdriver to help prevent marring the soft surface....it will give the driver a little better grip as well.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:30 PM

Great! Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:12 AM

What about removing the ignition switch?

- Nelson

Old 06-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never done that. Not totally sure. I would think the same way. It has those three notches in the bezel. Im pretty sure you want to lay some masking tape over it and do the same with a screwdriver as the other bezels. Nelson. From one '66 owner to another, I would highly recommend you order a '66 Shop manual from PY. I use mine religously. Best money you can spend on one of these cars for sure.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.