Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Courtesy light comes on when pressing brakes

The strangest thing happened today. When I opened the doors only the light under the dash came on. I shut the door and it went of. When I pressed th brake pedal, it came back on and then stayed on even without the pedal being pressed. I tried the flashers and nothing until I shut the doors then They blinked as well as the under dash light. The light in the console and rear armrest never came on. The only thing I have recently changed is I installed a powermaster 100 amp alternator and the m&h conversion wire..... drove it 100 miles yesterday and it appeared ok. Thoughts?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Just put the original alternator and set up back on and no difference...still acting up.... geez

Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago I had an unusual problem with a 1984 Buick Riviera at the dealership I used to work for. It kept blowing fuses if you would activate the turn signal lever to make a left hand turn. I got out the shop manual and tracked down all the wiring that had anything to do (both to and from) the LR tail-lamps, brake light and/ or turn signals. After about 15 minutes of studying the manual. I saw a pair of relays for the turn signals relative to some of the wiring to the tail-lamps in the back of the decklid. One of the relays (there was one for the LH side & another for the RH side=both identical) it turns out and fallen apart inside and when you put power to the LH rear turn signal bulbs the relay shorted out that fuse.

The 1980-85 Riviera had full width display of tail-lamps all the way across the back of the car, but not all of those lights flashed brighter for the brakes or turn signals. The relay was used to cycle power to the outboard bulbs in the ends of the quarterpanels but not the row of bulbs in the back of the decklid. The relays cycled in & out as the turn signals flashed so it was something that would eventually wear out. After that day I always checked those 2 relays whenever we had a Riviera come in for any kind of a problem with the rear lights. They were plastic relays mounted (hidden) up inside of the trunk just inside the left hand sail-panel up underneath the rear glass.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing I'ld do is check fuses. Not just by looking but make sure power is making it from fuse clip to fuse clip.
Lots of fuses fail when the lead strip comes loose from the end cap of the fuse. Looks good but doesn't work.
The common link on the components in question is power supply.

Fuses may not be your problem but the topic has come up a few times over the years.

Clay

Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Courtesy lights turn on when the white wire gets grounded. Perhaps the brake mechanicals are pinching one of the white wires somewhere? Don't know why this would be associated with an alt change tho. Coincidence? Sometimes things happen at the same time just to confuse.

George

Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Quicksilver mentions check the fuses first. Then I would check the connection in the trunk at the connector where tail, brake and dome light come together. The connector is usually toward the front of the trunk on driver's side.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Im with George here, the courtesy lights are coming on because the white wire is going to ground somewhere. either its getting hooked by brake pedal of pinched or something. Start at the door jamb switch and chase it..

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem on a 74 TA. The dome light would come on when I stepped on the brakes. It turned out to be a bad fuse but I don't remember which one.

It never made sense to me since the lamp comes on when the courtesy lighting circuit is connected to ground via door switches or the light switch. But it was back-feeding somehow. No more problems after replacing the fuse.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

It was a bad fuse. Thx for all the insight. Also the aftermarket radio in the glovebox was going out....overheated last summer.