Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Last Time I went to a car show was (at the Packard Proving Ground) in the Northern Suburbs of Detroit.
I had the top down and went to get a drink and when I come back a guy is having his picture taken inside my car.
I asked him what he was doing and he said having a picture taken in a muscle car.
What do you think my response was in polite civil terms was vs the actual words I used?

Tom V.
Had a similar experience with the Lemans Convertible at the cruise night in Davison.

Dad came out of the drug store and there was a guy sitting in the Vert getting his picture taken.

I imagine Dad's word choice was very much like yours.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Well Keith, no words for stupidity at that level, sorry your dad had to share a similar experience with the one I had.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Last Time I went to a car show was (at the Packard Proving Ground) in the Northern Suburbs of Detroit.
I had the top down and went to get a drink and when I come back a guy is having his picture taken inside my car.
I asked him what he was doing and he said having a picture taken in a muscle car.
What do you think my response was in polite civil terms was vs the actual words I used?

Last car show the 64 GTO Vert has ever been to. Your 64 Convertible is still holding its age well.
Thanks for the pictures.

Tom V.
I had the same thing happen at our local cruise earlier this year with my hardtop. A friend beat me to the punch in letting the young man know how inappropriate it was. His comment was that he couldn't find the owner - but I was right there.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

Very nice '64 GTO convert, 3 Deuce'64, hope you're able to keep it that way driving it on roads full of rubberneckers & idiot drivers. i gave up years ago & it sickens me every week when I hear of any of our collectible Pontiacs being smashed into out on the streets.

Tom, Keith's, & now Jim's sharing of unknown IDIOTS just jumping in & setting in their GTO's to take pictures really irks me. Where do these folks come off thinking they can pull that stunt? Lack of manners, lack of any respect for other folks property, similar deal to the total lack of the respect shown to history the last few days through tearing down historical statues, it makes my blood boil!

This No Respect/Entitlement thought process is not just limited to climbing in longtime owners pride & joy muscle cars & taking pics. Am sure we have all experienced it in other ways, if not at local/yokel car shows at other times. Im not sure how we can reverse this trend, there seems to be a ton of folks that just believe they can do anything with anyone's property. . Here's something I just witnessed, two weeks ago, I was out at warehouse I've leased for many years, minding my own business. Have been moving big stuff out for the last two months, & it's been a ton of work slowly getting everything organized at my new shop. The old place is fortunately, a very private area, industrial, not visible from any access street. entire building is surrounded by an apron area, with a tall chain link fence topped with 3 strands of barbwire, then other buildings tightly around it. Over the years, have had no theft issues, as only 2 other longtime Pontiac friends have ever been with me out there. Have found over the years, it's not your friends that you have to worry about, but sometimes local friends mention something to others, & before you know it tire kickers & thieves begin to show up.

Little over two weeks ago, I'm out mid day, its miserable hot, & Ive pulled a 79 400 4spd T/A out of the building & am loading it onto my car trailer. It's well over a 100 degrees heat index wise. I head to the cab of my truck, & drink some more water from the cooler.. As I turn down the tunes in the truck, I hear some voices from around the end of the building. Hmmm, I'm like who else is also out here? Mind you one can't get in without a gate key. There are only a few of us that come in, each of us is concerned about our own safety, each carrys, & each locks the gate behind himself. I walk around the building & diagonally across the concrete on the other side of the fence about a hundred ft away, it appears there is a family of 4 on neighboring property. Heavy set guy, his wife or GF, both older Millenials, & a teenage boy along with a young boy. The 4 of them are looking at one of the remaining parts cars I have staged in a line inside the fence line. I'm dripping with sweat, but after about 30 secs decide to walk over & say hello. Next, I ask them if they have an old Pontiac or are looking for something? The fellow doesn't say a word, instead the woman just sheepishly smirks & quietly mumbles "no". At this point In my head, im thinking there is no way they're thieves... not with the kids. They def don't look like tweakers (the worst), but am thinking what's their deal? Next thing I notice, the older boy is taking pics with a cell phone through the fence of the first partscar. Am thinking this is very odd. I head back back to my truck & grab my phone which I usually.carry on my belt a few inches from my carry. Into the belt case goes the cell. I go back around the building & all 4 have now moved down the fence line about 4 partscars & are taking pics of a Firebird & GP partscar... the whole experience is unnerving, I make it across the concrete, whip out my phone, slide the phone on, and again ask this bunch if I can help them. Again, not a word. What the H... In a moment of brilliance, I'm like "I hope you like your pictures being taken" as I begin taking pics of each of them. Within a few seconds, they all turn & begin to leave. In all of my years of storing at this location, occasionally having partscars out on the fence line, have never ran across anything like it.

Last, I'm sure someone like Don Keefe can come on here & lecture us all about about how we as the longtime Pontiac faithful have to share with the younger generations, in order to keep the Pontiac name going but I'm D#MN sorry if I have no interest in partaking in all the bs of local/yokel car shows, or try to strike up a conversation with/ or befriend idiots who have no manners, thus I will contribute in my own way.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 08-17-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Boost Engineer

First impression would be naturally that the pics go on craig's list and the next time they come they have chain link fence cutters and a flat bed.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple of Saturdays ago I caught this guy stealing parts from a nearby salvage yard. Sheriff's Deputy could not believe I openly took about 8 pictures of the thief. Plus I provided pictures of his car and tag number. The thief said he saw me taking his picture and pictures of his car. I told him I don't give a damn, I hate a thief.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	461430  

Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^ He might want to bring a bigger car next time.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Couple of Saturdays ago I caught this guy stealing parts from a nearby salvage yard. Sheriff's Deputy could not believe I openly took about 8 pictures of the thief. Plus I provided pictures of his car and tag number. The thief said he saw me taking his picture and pictures of his car. I told him I don't give a damn, I hate a thief.
A LOT of BOLD people out there these days. They just assume that the people that see them will "not pay attention" or "I don't want to get involved in a court case , not my problem"
so they can take what they want. Same attitude as getting into another person's classic vehicle.

Tom V.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I had the same thing happen at our local cruise earlier this year with my hardtop. A friend beat me to the punch in letting the young man know how inappropriate it was. His comment was that he couldn't find the owner - but I was right there.
About 20 years ago, A couple of friends and I drove my '67 ragtop with the top down across the bay and over to Fort Point in SF to do some rock cod fishing. A family from France approached us, and the mom (who was a knock-out Sophia Loren look-alike) asked me in very broken English if she could sit in the car and have her photo taken. I said 'sure', and she got in and did all kinds of crazy poses while her husband shot the film. It made their day, and mine. Somewhere in France there's a pic of my '67 GTO with a much more attractive person behind the wheel than I. The key is, I was ASKED if it was OK. I'd blow a gasket if I came up to my car and someone was sitting in it....total lack of respect for other people's property.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Appears to be a large truck copper/brass radiator, no(?). Between old radiators & batterys, there still seems to be a fairly large problem with theft. I absolutely hate thieves. Out in monster country yards I've frequented for decades, I've turned guys in before that were busting up dash assemblies, usually to get a clock or some other nickel ante part. Hope this young fellow got to sit for a few days in jail.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
First impression would be naturally that the pics go on craig's list and the next time they come they have chain link fence cutters and a flat bed.

Tom V.
My thought for a time was this bunch was going to put the pics up on some silly website; i.e, barn find of the week, etc. The snarky presumption on such websites that nothing is being done to such setting old musclecars & they are "rotting" has always raised my ire. It takes good partscars to further the hobby, not every 45+ year old A or F-body is a restorable car. Old cars setting in a barn or under a lean-to are no ones business, but the rightful owners. I do wish more folks took the time to properly store such vehicles. As far as Craigslist goes, I do ck it , just about everyday, & none of the pics have been showing up there. Since I last saw this bunch I moved two of the partscars & a solid roller body out to the shop, have a few more to go.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 08-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.