Old 03-29-2024, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pitman shaft seal replacement

The power steering box on my son's 65 Tempest is leaking pretty badly from the Pitman shaft. He has purchased a seal kit, and we're going to pull it and reseal it. I have the factory service manual, but does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for, so I don't screw anything up? I've never torn into a steering box before.

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 03-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I did mine I saw reference to people using one or two drywall screws to pull the old seal out. If I remember right for my 77 T/A the service manual said to start the engine and turn to the left lock to blow out the seal. Obviously you have to catch the fluid too to avoid a mess but I opted for that route and it popped out just fine. I don’t recall any other difficulties, tips or tricks. I ended up resealing the rest of the box but that was several years ago and still leak free.

Brian
Old 03-30-2024, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the seals many times when I worked at auto dealers. A trick we used was: Remove the pitman nut and pull the arm loose. Remove the snap ring that holds the washer and seals in place. Put the arm back on and loosely tighten the nut. With the wheels on the ground and with a pan under the steering box turn the steering wheel to full lock putting pressure on it. The seals should blow right out. Along with most of the PS fluid. Note the order of the parts as you remove them from the pitman shaft. If for some reason the seals won't come out center the steering wheel. Remove the 4 bolts holding the top on the steering box and lift out the pitman shaft. Nothing will fall apart on you. You can then knock the seals out from the top with a drift or dull screw driver. If there is rust on the lower part of the pitman shaft clean it off with very fine sand paper. Coat the seals with the grease that is supplied in the seal kit ( if none use any grease you have).

Old 03-30-2024, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of those jobs that I was loath to tackle. It actually went so smooth, I could not believe it! Yes, hydraulic it out.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone! The factory service manual also suggested the hydraulic trick.

We went to pull it apart, and realized it was the return hose leaking. The fluid was running down the box and dripping off the Pitman arm, so that's why I thought it was the Pitman seal. We replaced the hose, and problem solved!

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am