Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2020, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default My '69 GTO Convertible Body-off Restoration Thread

Was in the works for awhile but I just acquired my GTO project car last week. I found it for sale in Phoenix, Arizona and trailered it home to San Angelo, TX.
Here's some photos of it I took upon arriving and unloaded:

As you can see, the engine and transmission are out of the car and dismantled. The interior is all out of the car as well.

Original matching numbers engine and transmission. The block has had most the machine work done. The heads are done and so is the tranny. I do have a couple of things planned for the drivetrain.
I think I will save the transmission and install a beefed up 200-4R. I will use the engine but save the manifold and carb an purchase an Edelbrock ProFlo 4 MPFI system.

It looks excellent from underneath. Hardly any surface rust. Just dirty.
There is some rust in the bottoms of both fenders behind the wheels. I believe those will need patch panels.
One small spot above the p/s tail light and a small spot on d/s rear wheel well lip.
There is a hole in the floor from a leaking heater core. I can make a small patch for that.
I've found evidence of bondo in the middle of panels using a magnet but the rockers don't appear to have any.
It will need some work on panel alignment and gaps too. Hood to fenders, fenders to doors and at the Endura bumper to hood and fenders. I intend to make it all very close to perfect if I can.
Doors to quarters and trunk lid look pretty good already. I've read that it is quite a challenge to get an Endura bumper to really fit well on any car. That will be interesting.

Stripping the paint will reveal some things as it always does but at this point I think it is a great car for a restoration. I did buy it sight-unseen but the seller was good about providing me with a few iterations of sending photos of specific things I wanted to see.