THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get those scantily dressed "friend requests" also and yeah, I know what those are all about I reckon.
I understand the difference between the suggestions and the requests necdb3. I get plenty of the suggestions too and they don't really bother me but in the last two days I've gotten well over a hundred friend requests. They have overwhelmed me to the point where I can't even look at them to see if they are car related or not... Or at least I'm not willing to spend the time to do so.

I have always accepted the friend requests that were car related even though I did not know most of the people, but at this point I'm about to purge several hundred of them, maybe just a few each day.
The requests seem to have slowed down today. Only five this morning. Maybe because I completely stopped responding to them. I'm just deleting the emails as I get them without even looking at the profile. There's too many of them.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Facebook stinks!!!

I had an account that I had and never used it. A friend told me about a Firebird group on there, so I tried to join up. When I tried to sign on it was a chore and if I got on on it didn't last long. I would get a message from them that they didn't know if it was me or not. They sent me a security statement and said they hope it helped me out. They wanted my feedback. I left them a two word response and proceeded to cancel the account.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get fake bot hookers all the time. ALL THE TIME.

They are especially tied to popular public hot rod profiles. Things like Roadkill etc.

So what will happen is, I will respond to something Mike Finnegan says. Then a day or so later I will get notifications that like 6 of my pictures have been "Liked". Often stuff that is years old but it always starts with something from a large public group. That will accompany a friend request. Usually the profile is of a girl proactively dressed with only a couple of pictures. Often with a name that makes no sense.

They troll those pages because there is an abundance of older males who are probably not all that tech savvy and might even be lonely.

Once again here, common sense is your best weapon. If you are a 65 year old out of shape dude in Iowa, chances are that a girl with a profile from New York and only 1 picture isnt actually real. You arent that lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 03-28-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, do yourself a favor and unplug it. After the 4 hr cold turkey period you wont miss it a bit.

I am one of those people that is 100pct against social media. Although I do subscribe to a couple of car forums. When I got my real estate license a few years ago my boss set up my FB and Linkdn acts. for business needs. I let the license lapse as my other business took off. It has been at 3 or 4 yrs since I have even looked at my acct. Even then there are probably less than 50 posts I have made. I dont miss FB at all. I spent the first 50 yrs of my life without it and no need to start now.

The funny thing, whenever I talk to someone and FB is mentioned the person always seems to be defensive and even a bit guilty concerning using it. Starting with 'I only use it to keep in touch with my family', or 'I was looking for something for school'... etc. I keep in touch with my family without it, and my kid gets through school just fine.

If someone is not willing to pick up the phone and call me, or stop by my house to say hello, or wont pick up the phone when I call I dont need them as friends. Let alone a hundred thousand people in cyber space.

Sorry, Rant Over.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, believe it or not I probably use it even less than you did. The only social media I am a regular user of is this forum and yes, I do consider this a form of social media.
I don't know how to tweet, tick tock, or link in... Occasionally, I get an email that a younger relative has posted a photo. I look at those because several of them have new babies and it's the only way I will see pics of them.
That's why this recent activity got my attention and why I started this thread. I was wondering if it was happening to anyone else.
I went back and looked at all of the invites that I've gotten over the last few days and I noticed that there were two individuals that I accepted requests from that kept popping up as friends of the mob of people who were suddenly "requesting" my friendship. Those two individuals each had over 4000 "friends".
I got rid of them and all of the people who came with them. Now the requests I've had over the last two of days is about three.
Not accepting anymore at all at this point unless it's someone l actually know.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:18 PM
Boost Engineer

I gave up on Facebook and Linkedin when I retired from Ford..
2016 timeframe.

Never was much of a poster even before.

The scammers really came out of the woodwork then.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-31-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Recently visited my LinkedIn and got it up to snuff. Sooo many work opportunties. Mostly in desolate places.

I keep FB because i understand quite well the keyword AI filtering via semantic text analyses. So i say hi to them. Never been banned nor vacationed. They know why.

@ Greg; please keep me as a FB friend, i might be more local soon than you tink.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I only deleted the ones that were involved in the pile-on HIS.
If FB is behind it I guess it worked. I've been on the site more in the last 3 days than I have in the last 4 or 5 years...lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I only have one experience with linkden and it was positive. Back when I was still doing real estate, I was at a conference a couple of hours away. On my way home (riding with a co worker) I realized my wallet was missing. I panicked looked all over the car I was in and no luck. Thought maybe I left it in my truck at the park n ride. Had to wait for an hour or so to check that and no luck. When I finally got back home my office called and said someone found it in the parking garage. They looked at my name on the driver license and found me through my linkden account. I wouldnt even know how to log into it at this point!

Old 04-01-2022, 08:36 AM

Deactivated and deleted my Facebook account in late 2010 and happily never looked back.

It’s funny, every so often in conversations with people they are a tad stunned that I’m not on Facebook personally or for my business as well.

I’m like no Gracias.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:55 AM

I deactivated my FB several years ago but didn't delete it entirely. Mistake. A couple years ago I got to thinking about it and wanted to delete it completely. They required that I submit a photo ID to prove who I am before they would even let me back in to my account! Screw that!

Old 04-01-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just this afternoon I went to reply to a PM and when I tried to do so it took me to a Facebook log in page.

Then went to the lounge section on here to start a post about it and ask what might be going on, and once again I got sent to a Facebook log in page.

I closed down my Facebook page months ago!

Is anyone else having these same issues?

Old 04-01-2022, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Has this site been taken over by FAKEBOOK ?

There are two NEW large BLANK white boxes at the top of the main page.
No text, no images, nothing. Kinda sneaky, like they don't want us to know.
But if you click on either one, BAM, you're logging into FAKEBOOK.

I can't start a thread, I can't copy text, I can't do ANYthing.
It just keeps trying to get me to log into FAKE-frigging-BOOK !

I despise FAKEBOOK. I'll miss all you guys if this cannot be fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joe's Garage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 11:40 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I also can do NOTHING on this site.

PLEASE FIX IT!!!!

Old 04-01-2022, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try logging out of the site, clear your cookies, and then log back in.
I'm not seeing anything different. Also, as a test B-man and I sent PMs back and forth to each other without any issues

Old 04-02-2022, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still able to post and read content here.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No problems here!

Old 04-02-2022, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart logging out and clearing cookies does not fix the problem for me. The issue happens when a new dialogue box opens, such as the PM text box, or the title box to a new thread. Goes straight to a Facebook login page. A simple reply such as this is (obviously) still possible. Also seeing a weird flash every time I click on a topic. There IS something wrong. Also, happens both on mobile device and laptop. I checked...

Old 04-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone having issues on this site where you can’t post or send PMs because you get a face book pop up? I know I am can’t send or post anything new or respond to PMs

This is in PY .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, being discussed in the posts above yours.