Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-01-2022, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Looks and sounds great. For sound deadener you don't have to break the bank with high-priced name brand. Two boxes of this - total of $130 -will do your floor and probably enough for your doors. Then you can move on with carpet install.

https://www.amazon.com/Siless-mil-sq...1407971&sr=8-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone had used it!
Agree that there is zero need to buy Dynamat brand sound deadening. I used 80mil Noico brand sound deadening in my car (also purchased through Amazon), which looks to be very similar to the Siless brand linked to here. I actually liked the Noico better than Dynamat which I have used in the past. I can't speak for the Siless brand, but the Noico was easy to work with and has zero odor.

Whatever brand you go with, two boxes of 36 square feet is enough to do the entire floor pan, firewall, side kick panels, underside of dash, and the underside of the roof. I don't imagine you'll be doing under the dash now that you have stuff installed there, however. Once you get some sound deadening and carpet in there, it will be MUCH quieter.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-01-2022, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought Noico off Amazon and got enough to do everything including inside the doors. I plan to do every square inch I can. I figure it cant be too quiet especially since my wife and kids will be in it and I gotta have my tunes which is why I invested in that kick ass stereo I gotta have installed. I dont know if I ever gave the details on that. I had the factory radio gutted and converted to Bluetooth. It has a microphone for wireless calling, still has AM and FM channels and has two amp preouts. I bought a Pioneer amp and four 6x9 speakers. The amp is gonna be hidden under the seat. The original kick panel vents have been removed and a place called Norwoods in Anderson SC has already measured to fit one set of 5 way 6x9 speakers in the original vents. The other set are 5 way as well and will be fitted to the package tray. I did not want to put subwoofers and all that in it but I gotta have my tunes. Turnswitch did the radio conversion but I was told the old man died and they quit doing radios in December so I wonder how that affects warranty.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your going to add weight and you could have cured it with a more quiet exhaust system!You might go through all that and might find you will have to change the exhaust anyway!Good luck!Tom

Old 05-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not worried about weight, hell I could add another 500 pounds and it will still scare the **** out of me. I can carry a conversation in the car right now even with a big ass hole in the floor right between my wife and I. We just came back from shopping. I will be ok. You gotta pay the cost to be the boss

Old 05-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom I was kidding by the way

Old 05-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David I run a Pypes 3 " exhaust with 20" 2 chambers welded mufflers and they are noisy as hell . I added the 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators after the mufflers and it has made a world of difference. That's until you stab the throttle.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
David I run a Pypes 3 " exhaust with 20" 2 chambers welded mufflers and they are noisy as hell . I added the 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators after the mufflers and it has made a world of difference. That's until you stab the throttle.
If I can’t get my wife on board I may try that. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate the 2 1/2 setup in my 69 bird!The drone at 2000 just sucks,I have put sound reducing mats,on my 3rd set of mufflers,same as I have on my 62 421 car which is dead quiet.At wits end!I think its the custom shorty headers that were built on the car is the issue.Tom

Old 05-02-2022, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Agree that there is zero need to buy Dynamat brand sound deadening. I used 80mil Noico brand sound deadening in my car (also purchased through Amazon), which looks to be very similar to the Siless brand linked to here. I actually liked the Noico better than Dynamat which I have used in the past. I can't speak for the Siless brand, but the Noico was easy to work with and has zero odor.
I used the Noico brand in mine, but black. I was gonna suggest that but didn't see the 36 sf box so posted the Siless brand instead. I haven't experienced any odor with the Noico either.
I used this kit of hand rollers for install: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-04-2022, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually run dynomax super turbos, they are quiet. Most say they are too quiet, but don't think that's possible IMO. In the 442, 495ci, hooker super comps, 2.5 exhaust, pypes w X pipe, over the rear and out the back, no drone at any RPM, and no power reduction. You can ride with the windows down and talk to people in the back seat even.

In the GTO, same system with Goerlich Xelerators, there's a slight drone around 2000 RPM, but tolerable. Louder than the Dynomax, especially at WOT, but tolerable. I will probably swap them out for the Dynomax'. Oddly, same car, same exhaust, they were quieter with the 461ci, and no drone whatsoever at any RPM.

I think cam profile does in fact have an impact on sound and drone, especially as you go to larger displacements.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following User Says Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hwy, how much power is that 442 making? I have a hard time believing there is no power loss with 2.5". I picked up 2/10 with 3" headpipes and wish I went all 3". I'm also pretty sure I was told by Dynomax that the STs start losing power past 385hp.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Hwy, how much power is that 442 making? I have a hard time believing there is no power loss with 2.5". I picked up 2/10 with 3" headpipes and wish I went all 3". I'm also pretty sure I was told by Dynomax that the STs start losing power past 385hp.
Could do the math and estimate it, but honestly don't know exactly. More than 385hp, that's for sure. Bernard said similar builds were in the 575 range.

442 has the trumpet tips that go thru the bumper cutouts, to get everything to line up, 2.5" is pretty much the max. They do make a kit, but have heard it doesn't fit well, and the 3" trumpet tips look silly.

So, just like on the GTO, and the Lemans before, with the splitter tailpipes, you pretty much need to run 2.5" on those. I know the 461 made more than 550hp, and the 535 certainly makes more than 600hp.

On all those, loosing a little is acceptable for my needs. I know I can run 3" up to or even past the muffler, I may try that on the GTO, will see. 442 is my daughter's car, and she's fine with giving up a little.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 05-06-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok so I have two problems. 99 and a half miles exactly , my car developed a skip so I pulled some plugs and my brothers expert "by ear" tuning had fouled 3 spark plugs. I replaced all 8 and it started running like a champ again. I got out my copy of How To Tune And Modify Holley Carbs and followed the guidelines exactly using my vacuum gauge etc and now it runs like a top but there is some collateral damage...in my exhaust tips. My once beautiful chrome exhaust tips are BLACK on the inside. What can I use to clean them out because laquer thinner on a rag aint doing it and neither is a wheel brush. Second my exhaust man pulled the connector off my sending unit when he was doing my exhaust. The little boot and terminal that connect to the sending unit is what I mean. I went to reconnect it after the exhaust was put on and the connection was not tight. I put needle nose pliers on it and tightened up the terminal that goes around the spade and got what I felt was a good connection but now my once rock steady fuel gauge is bouncing all over the place when I drive. If I sit still it gives me an accurate reading but as soon as I move its all over the place and it wasnt like that till it got jerked off the spade. What should I do to remedy these problems?

Old 05-07-2022, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Ok so I have two problems. 99 and a half miles exactly , my car developed a skip so I pulled some plugs and my brothers expert "by ear" tuning had fouled 3 spark plugs. I replaced all 8 and it started running like a champ again. I got out my copy of How To Tune And Modify Holley Carbs and followed the guidelines exactly using my vacuum gauge etc and now it runs like a top but there is some collateral damage...in my exhaust tips. My once beautiful chrome exhaust tips are BLACK on the inside. What can I use to clean them out because laquer thinner on a rag aint doing it and neither is a wheel brush. Second my exhaust man pulled the connector off my sending unit when he was doing my exhaust. The little boot and terminal that connect to the sending unit is what I mean. I went to reconnect it after the exhaust was put on and the connection was not tight. I put needle nose pliers on it and tightened up the terminal that goes around the spade and got what I felt was a good connection but now my once rock steady fuel gauge is bouncing all over the place when I drive. If I sit still it gives me an accurate reading but as soon as I move its all over the place and it wasnt like that till it got jerked off the spade. What should I do to remedy these problems?
If your tips aren’t aluminum, oven cleaner does a great job of removing carbon.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-07-2022, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you corrected the rich condition, the tips will clean out on their' own by driving it. Highway time does the best.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about the gas gauge

Old 05-07-2022, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the wire to terminal connection and the ground for bad connections

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-07-2022, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're going to carbon up every time you use the choke. It's the nature of the beast.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the best solvents for carbon is water.

You're never going to keep them clean though, exhaust is a by product of combustion, you ever look into a chimney, and see one that's clean? Even a natural gas furnace gets carbon in them, and it burns much cleaner than gasoline in a ICE.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-18-2022, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well after the fouled plug debacle I decided that since the oil was BLACK and smelled like gas I would change it before we change the flywheel and get it back on the road this weekend. I cut the filter open and found no metal or anything like that but the oil that came as was thin and black as tar. I assume that was from the copious amount of fuel that was dumped in the engine by my brothers genius carb adjustment. Anything else I should check?