THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$20.00! I checked online and the cheapest Mobil 1 I saw was $25.00 for a 5 quart jug, so he was giving that oil change / tire rotation away.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pride Battle

Ha, enjoyed this post.

I worked at Jiffy Lube in high school. (I'm 60) anyway, I have always changed my own oil and for sure getting under and on the floor is far less fun now due to the aging body. For me its a battle against my own pride of accepting age and taking it somewhere. not really due to physical reasons but because I grew up in the do it yourself era on practically everything and that's a dying art. (or already dead)

month ago changed the brake rotors/pads on my 2015 Silverado. mercy, the caliper bracket bolts are overkill with threadlock and torque from the factory. hate to admit it, but being on the floor and no good angle, had to use my to short breakover bar and my leg to break the bolts loose. seriously, hadn't needed to do that since changing a crusty original differential out years ago. couldn't get an impact on em.

I am continually amazed at the strength that fades with age.

I see there are usually deals to be had at the dealer for brakes/oil changes and I almost went that route. its not the money, its the self pride lol, I gotta keep on keepin on as long as I can. once the "change" happens I fear it will be the norm!

Old 05-26-2022, 11:11 AM

I have always done as much automotive work and other work around the house as I'm capable of doing, based on having the tools, knowledge or access to reference materials, etc. That was based on the "if you can do it yourself, why would you have someone else do it, be a man" perspective as well as economics. At 60 I am starting to reconsider some of it, and I do sometimes feel sore after doing some of it. I am starting to feel like at this age I shouldn't "have" to do it myself, but it is difficult to let go.

We have a 2015 Acadia bought new, that has always gone to the dealer for oil changes and tire rotation. Oil changes are pretty economical and the filter on the Acadia is a PITA to access. I put front brakes on it at around 25,000 miles, getting serious pulsing in the rotors, and the difference in cost on a brake job is a no-brainer.

We have annual inspections in PA and when I've had issues arise during inspection I've allowed them to be addressed on the spot - change a turn signal bulb, $10. I once allowed the shop to do front brakes on a car because the alternative is failing the inspection, picking up the car, doing the repairs, then taking it back a second time for re-inspection. Not worth the hassle.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Default Old age

Lol modern cars yes let them do it’s too convenient and with their coupons very affordable cheap. Now my classics. Git yo greasy novice no paying attention behind away from the vehicle!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Just paid an oil change place to change the oil in my car.

Could some please do a drive-by shooting?
The tire store that rotates and balances the tires on our vehicle charged me $20 to perform an oil change. It isn’t worth my time to open my tool box for $20.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-26-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One time in the middle of a very cold winter here in Ohio we were preparing to drive to NC, and I just didn't feel like lying on the ground outside, and changing oil in my wife's Vibe before we left. I couldn't get in the garage due to a project car tying it up.

I swallowed my pride and took it to Walmart for the oil change, stood right there and watched them do it through the window. I believe that is the only time I paid someone else to change oil in the last 50 plus years on my own vehicle.

The huge advantage of using by pass oil filters at this point in my life is I only change oil now about every 3-4 years, I change the bypass filter from the top in under 5 minutes. Saves me tons of time and money, plus I still haven't gotten around to getting a lift installed at the new house yet. Maybe this year, crossing fingers. I have no problem getting on the creeper, it's the getting off, and standing back up that's the problem..........

My father (mechanic all his life) changed oil on his own cars well into his late 80s lying on the ground. So at 69, I still have 20 more years of changing my own oil, but with by pass oil filters, it sure helps not having to get up and down off of a creeper, and changing the filter from the top.

Seems the oil isn't as cheap either as it once was, so keeping it clean with a proper filter, and not changing it because the OEM filters can't keep it clean sure saves me money, and time. Last time I bought 2, 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil synthetic, it was $50. Five bucks a quart isn't cheap in my book. A roll of TP that I use for filtration is still under a buck though.......

Lowest mileage car in the fleet is 99 GP 137,000, miles. the 05 GTO, 140,000 miles is probably not going too far this year with the price of premium fuel over 5 bucks already. I have 2 chevy trucks with right around 250,000, One chevy truck with 270,000 that the 4L80E finally gave up, so it may be parted out, it's really rusty, but the 6.5 turbo diesel still runs perfectly.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 12:19 PM

I guess I am the only who is to cheap to pay for something I can do myself. I thought most synthetic oil changes cost 45 and up, conventional oil with cheap store brand filters are the 20 dollar specials. That is why I usually do my own not to mention all the horror stories you hear at oil change places. Anyway I just buy Walmart synthetic oil and bosch oil filter usually about 20 bucks. I also just change my oil once a year as well. I took the Avalanche in to have suspension looked at because service light was on. Brakes Plus said rear air shocks were blown as well as air compressor and front struts were leaking. They said the Z55 suspension vehicles do that often. So it was going to cost 3k to change all 5 components.Time to do it myself so I started with the rear air shocks and found some OE replacements from ebay for 100. As soon as I changed the rear air shocks the OE compressor kicked on and inflated shocks, solved . I will admit the front struts do cost about 300 each. I looked at struts and they were not leaking. The service suspension message was gone as well after replacing rear shocks.
I noticed this past winter the auto feature on 4 wheel drive was not working properly on Avalanche. I could still put in 4 high but no auto. I like this feature on light snowy roads or heavy rain. So seems like it is the transfer case motor on Avalanche and thought of taking it in to a mechanic but I know they will charge at least a 1k if not more. I found on Rockauto the whole transfer case motor would cost about 200 for whole unit. Well I kept searching and it costs less then 14 dollars to change the sensor in the transfer case motor. I am 51 now and admit crawling under vehicle can be a pain but I just throw an old sleeping bag under vehicle and get to work. I try and remember to bring all necessary tools so I dont have to keep getting up and under vehicle. I dont know about you guys but there is something tranquil laying under a vehicle or maybe it is the old man in me that can take a nap anywhere.

Last edited by ta6point6; 05-26-2022 at 12:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ta6point6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 01:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Once you reach a given point in the organization, you get company vehicles to drive.

When it is time for the vehicle to be serviced you, or one of your people, drive the vehicle over to the Service Garage, and they do the work on the vehicle. I used to drive and evaluate a lot of company vehicles (mostly Trucks). Drive it for several days and then turn it in for someone else to evaluate. When I retired I was already driving a company lease vehicle so I continued that process. Since 2016, I have done nothing on any of my vehicles except for make appointments for required service intervals. I have better things to do with my time like build furniture as a retirement hobby.

EVERYONE has his own path, do what YOU Have to do or Enjoy doing.

JMO

Tom V.

Same deal applies with Lawn Service, I am ready to give up on being Forrest Gump,
and will contract that job to a lawn & snow removal service. I can buy a lot of lawn service
for what a GOOD "zero turn" mower costs. Learned that deal from Marty Palbylin.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Closest local Ford dealer is fabulous; both modern daily drivers go here for all service. Still service collector vehicles (with help of my son).

How fabulous is the dealer? Had a special switch on order for about 6 months. Finally asked the parts manager if he would give me the part number. He did. Ebay had the part. I had the part 3 days later, and had the dealer install it.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom V - my NEWEST lawn & garden tractor is a 1992 model. 5 acres to mow. So far, service has been gasoline, oil and filter changes, two sets of blades (I sharpen them myself), and two front tires. Over 2000 hours last time I checked. How much could I have saved by having it mowed by a mowing service?

Jon

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clint Eastwood said best: A man has to know his limitations. I'm 65 and lucky to have the strength and energy to do my own work. Having a lift is real nice and I do all my own work except for tires and alignments. I don't do ladders anymore but have a couple rolling stair cases, one tall one for outside and a short one for inside. I do my own yard work and having an acre is no small feat. We tried to hire people to do the weed whacking and clean up, they wanted $1200. and sign a contract and they had restrictions plus I had to get rid of the cuttings. Uh no thanks. So I bought a high wheeled string trimmer, yard vacuum, cordless 18volt weed whacker, 40volt Ryobi leaf blower. The vacuum had a nice side effect of vacuuming up the seeds so the weed count has gone way down.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a lift and all the tools to change oil and maintenance vehicles easily here. But for my customers, I discourage them from bringing cars/trucks to me for oil changes. I simply can't compete in any way cost wise and don't care to. I have to pay now to have my full drums of used oil carried away. It has fluctuated from me paying $75.00 a barrel to them picking up a drum and handing me $50.00. Right now, I have to pay $50.00. Then I buy oil in 5 quart jugs or maybe a 5 gallon pail. Quality synthetic oil right now cost me $4.00-4.50 a quart. When we had our Valvoline sponsorship years ago, our contact told us the 1 quart plastic bottles cost more than the contents. That was several years ago and conventional oil, but there is allot of profit in the oil if your buying thousands and thousands of gallons a month like Jiffy Lube. They pay less than $1.00 for their house brand spin on filters made by Champion brands. No sense for my one man operation to tie up a rack to make $20.00 for a half hour spent on a decent inspection and an oil change.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

From a physical standpoint, getting old sucks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
From a physical standpoint, getting old sucks.
Yes, but when you were young, you didn't have grandchildren!

Jon

The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Yes, but when you were young, you didn't have grandchildren!

Jon
LOL. That's a good point. But, I never had kids so no grandkids obviously. Everything about my life is better now than when I was young, except for physical/athletic ability. And, I've been an athletic, fit person my whole life. Still am, but it ain't the same. It's OK. though. It's just the natural progression. It could be a lot worse.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-26-2022, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to look into testosterone supplements......my strength has gone in the crappah.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My daily drivers, I have a buddy who works out of his barn do them all. He’s also the local Duramax expert, so he does all the truck repairs when needed.
My old cars, I put on a different level. I do all my own work, except for tire changes or balancing. Even then I pull the wheels and just bring my tires and rims in. I’m 57, so yeah getting up off the shop floor is getting tougher, but my job keeps me in excellent shape. I just don’t trust anyone else with my toy cars.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Not to scare anyone,.......but I have multiple true stories from quick change oil change businesses that are pretty bad. 3 of them have required new engines being installed, one just last month. 1. My sister takes her new Mini Cooper to a quick lube in San Diego for it's FIRST oil change. They leave the drain plug loose and it looses almost all it's oil, locking up the engine 4 days after the oil change. Oil change place agrees to have a new engine installed in the Mini at a BMW dealer in Los Angeles. They install new engine in a car with 6K miles on it. The dealer tech forgets to plug in the electric fan and also doesn't give it a proper test drive to verify it. 1/2 hour after leaving the dealer the new engine is blown up on the side of the road after getting God knows how hot. So that's 2 dead engines at 6K miles. Dealer orders her a new car. Lessons learned. 2. Wife of my co-worker is sick and tired of him not getting the oil changed on her Ford Excursion. She takes it to Jiffy Lube for a change. An hour later, she calls him and says the truck is dead on the side of the road, with oil everywhere under the hood, and smoke. He rushes to the scene and checks the oil. It was 6 inches ABOVE the full line and a little dirty. Determined they double filled it. (did not drain out the old oil before refilling) It has been leaking oil ever since. 3. General contractor friend of mine took his Duramax truck to a quick lube. They installed the wrong oil filter on it and started the engine. Oil gushed out everywhere so they shut it off and went to the parts store nearby and purchased the correct filter. Sent him on his way. He pulls into my driveway with the "check oil level" light on. I check it and proceed to add 5 quarts of oil to it. After they put the correct oil in it, they never checked the oil level for what was lost. Just 3 recent examples. These places will hire ANYONE. Zero capability required. Many have come to work at the quick lube for a $.025 pay increase from McDonalds or bagging groceries. Use a shop you trust. Be willing to pay a buck or two more for someone who has some basic idea of what they are doing.
Yeah. I had one of the 2009 Challenger 5.7 Hemi R/Ts. Only year/model with a lifetime drivetrain warranty. Requiring the scheduled maintenance. I noticed a leak and they had left the drain plug loose.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 05-27-2022, 09:36 AM

Still do my own oil changes, brakes, suspension etc and I’m almost 65. Do most of the maintenance on my kids cars also as they are all drivers with 150K plus on them. Usually I save quite a bit of money when I do brakes, suspension and other under car work but I’m pretty sure oil changes is break even at best. I do, however, have the comfort of knowing what oil I used and I typically buy good filters. What I find is a hassle is disposing of the used oil and filter……local parts stores will take oil but many times their tank is full.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 64, the wife is 56, we both do weight training at least four days a week. Makes a huge difference in maintaining your strength, bone density, joint strength and weight. I'm 6'4" 225 lbs, wife is 5'4" 130'ish (hard to pin her down exactly )

Gotta eat right too, plenty of protein, can't build a strong body without the necessary fuel.

Anyone can do it, never too late to start ... you gotta use it or lose it.