THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Mike here: I would like to add something to the Tunnel Ram Project. Since I have had my Tri-Power Rochester Carbs. apart half a dozen times in 10 years to ensure good performance and all the factory parts are present, I have noticed that the Main Well Tubes use Main Well Inserts over them. For those that are not familiar let me explain. The Main Well Inserts use holes in them to break down the fuel in order to quickly Atomize the Fuel Prior to entering the Venturi's. Thus, Atomization begins in the Main Well area, just as digestion starts in the mouth through saliva.

Let's look at the Tunnel Ram being produced by Tom and others. I Propose, an additional Atomization event be Included. Since you are making the Tunnel Ram even "gooder", then the Factory why not improve it on the Molecular level. My idea is simply to consider the upside-down "V" inner peak of the Tunnel Ram as the Roof of a home. The Peak would be the Ridge and the sides are the slope seen as Rise over run. The Rectangular Roof area is the Roof.

(1) Make the Rectangular area into the "Turtle" effect, designed to spread Fuel and sold on the market today. For example, to get this same effect, one could do it in several ways. (A) Make the Rectangular service as rough as you can to spread the Fuel and get Atomized into Fumes. (B) I would Imagine that the first Billet Tunnel Ram will be used as the "Plug" in Creating the Mold in the evolution of the Tunnel Ram to Fruition? When the Cast process is being instituted one could spray contact cement on both sides of a piece of very course Grinder sand paper and adhere that to the rectangular surface of the Roof. With that in the negative built into the mold would act as the Atomizer I propose.

(C) Now over and above that I propose that an additional and separate modification be instituted for even more Atomization. Build an upside down "V" out of Metal with holes in it by bending a replica of the Tunnel Rams peak roof, but say one inch over the peak in design. Stand off the unit, by threading, tapping a one-inch standoff rod, located were needed. The second Roof acts as the Main Well Inserts previously described. Make various holes in different diameters.

Make some holes by drilling through and leave them with sharp edges but wet sanded with mineral oil to de-bevel them. Other holes can de counter sunk, but still de-burred. I figure Fuel will run off the flat surface of the Metal plate then across the sharp edges of the rough holes. I figure the holes with the counter sunk edges will drop one inch and Atomize on the way down. The various size holes are experimental in that one could drop Mineral spirits over the plate at the height of the Throttle plates to see which hole works best.

Another ploy might be to build in a positive and negative dimple effect into the Roof surface of the upside down "V" first instead of the sand paper effect or use both simultaneously. The focus here is to get the Fuel Atomized best you can before it enters the Tunnel. The Tunnel must be addressed at this time, only the bottom I presume is necessary. I would roughen up that surface using the same methodology as stated before.

Now, of course some of you racing car people have already thought of some of these ideas, I am sure. Why not Incorporate these ideas into the mold while you can? The Metal plate with holes in it can be an option, as well as the rough surface, people can pay for the price of the upgrade if they want it.

P.S. Name the Tunnel Ram Project as: Adam, why? The acronym: "Atomization-Done-At-Molecular Level". Plus, Adam depicts the beginning of something, in this case Fuel going from a liquid to a gas. Mikes two cents.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,NOT needed in this thread!Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,have not got anything more from Lynwood.John and I are on them to get us info when we will have another couple intakes to machine and test fit.Standing by.Tom

Old 03-06-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Guys,have not got anything more from Lynwood.John and I are on them to get us info when we will have another couple intakes to machine and test fit.Standing by.Tom
Question: Are you guys waiting for a few more of the early version or are you waiting for the first of the late model castings? Just curious.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a early machine sample,needed a couple small change in the pattern.Waiting for a update machine sample and a machine sample of the late with the pattern changes.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a email that the late intake will be poured this week,hope to get it machined and test fit by maybe next weekend!Tom

Old 03-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for all your efforts.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Looking forward to seeing the finished castings for the late model intakes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys in sorry I dont have any new news!I was gone this last week,have not got word on the last promise that did not happen.Im here this week and then off to FLA for a week.Hope to have some good news before I leave.Tom

Old 03-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Guys in sorry I dont have any new news!I was gone this last week,have not got word on the last promise that did not happen.Im here this week and then off to FLA for a week.Hope to have some good news before I leave.Tom
Going fishing in FLA?

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-28-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,5 days in the Ft Pierce area.Tom

Old 03-29-2022, 09:06 AM

You should stop off in Houston and have dinner with all the guys down here.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I ever get a chance to visit my daughter in Cleveland TX I will!Tom

Old 03-29-2022, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep Jeff and I will take you out!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-29-2022, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about catching a sunken treasure chest while fishing in Fla so your next project can be a SD/RAV type block casting.......lol

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 03-29-2022, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,im 77!I dont know if I have enough years left to even think about that project.Im just glad all on here that were interested to be able to read on how tough it is to do a project like this.Im sure it is taking years off of John!This time of year im sking in the Sierras or trying to wet a line somewhere.Last week I was able to ski in the AM and trout fish after lunch.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK,got a email with at least a excuse.They are short handed in the foundry,they have a OSHA inspection this coming Friday so they will get poured the following week.FWIW,Tom

Old 03-29-2022, 04:25 PM

I hope OSHA does not see our intake.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Yes,5 days in the Ft Pierce area. Tom
Mikes Reply: I live 50 miles South in Deerfield Beach area, I fish off the pier, but it's been a long time since I fished. When I was recovering from a sickness, I bought a Honda 2003 left-over in 04, a VTX 1800 cc and would travel up to where you are going. They were back filling the sand and had a large Dredge Machine doing the work repairing the Beach after a Hurricane hit. I put on 27,000 miles on that Bike in four years as I recovered. Then I traded it in for a 1993 Honda Goldwing 1500 cc with a Trike-by-Trike Kit and drove another 5,000 miles until I could no longer ride Motorcycles anymore. I lost the use of my Hips during those recovery years. Anyway, catch a big one and enjoy yourself. PS, my Father Had a Viking 33' and we lived in Light House Point, plus he Had his Boat Business in Delray, off US-1. We moved here from NY in 1974.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 03-29-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have the revisions been implemented on the early style, and has that batch been cast yet? Really looking forward to seeing the late casting.

Will text you once that one gets posted up to discuss relevant options, have a great trip, best of luck, again many thanks to you and John.

Frank