Old 04-29-2022, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A/C throttle solenoid?

Hi all! I want to put this on my wife’s car. The Vintage Air system pulls the idle down a little more than I’d like.

I don’t have a manual new enough to tell me about it..
I see it has a hex head, so is it adjustable & how do I go about it?

I’d think I would need to get it warmed up and with the A/C on adjust the fast idle speed with it.

Any tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks guys
Murf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FBD06C0-EA0C-420B-AC19-5C7C79D87782.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	589728  

Old 04-30-2022, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Warm the engine up with AC off then turn AC on and turn the hex on the solenoid either in or out until you get the desired rpm. The solenoid will have to be wired to a power source that is only live with AC clutch engaged. You can tee into the positive wire to the clutch.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Warm the engine up with AC off then turn AC on and turn the hex on the solenoid either in or out until you get the desired rpm. The solenoid will have to be wired to a power source that is only live with AC clutch engaged. You can tee into the positive wire to the clutch.
Thanks Goatracer! Seems simple enough. Is there much adjustment on that shaft? Mine doesn’t act like it wants to turn very easily. I didn’t want to force it much.

One other question. With no power to the solenoid, I can move the shaft in and out easily. Is that normal? The shaft does move out and stay put when I apply power.

Thanks again
Murf

Old 05-02-2022, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's like the idle up solenoid (and it sounds like it is), those you can move in and out with no power. When powered, they move out and stay firm.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They work good, but the one I have is a little weak. If the AC comes on with car at idle, the plunger isn't strong enough to push the throttle. Once out it holds fine. My Vintage Air cycles and if it engages while the engine is at idle I need to very slightly wing the throttle to allow the plunger to come out. There is quite a bit of adjustment on the plunger and possibly yours is junked up and a bit of lube might help the threads. Just screw it back and forth and it should loosen up. And yes there is a lot of free play when not engaged and the shaft is moved in and out.

I figure that additional air flow through the radiator is a good thing with the AC on so have the solenoid set at a 1,000 RPM while the normal idle is about 850, and those settings feel right for my setup. For awhile I had the solenoid set where it just equaled the normal idle, but settled on the additional RPM as a better solution.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto, without power you can just shake the solenoid and the shaft will move back and forth. I don't believe you can screw it much but you should only have to move it a turn or two.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Considering the originals (late 60s) are almost impossible to find, or stupid expensive ... has anyone come up with solution for using a more readily available replacement?

Easy enough to get the mounts, but no one makes the solenoid anymore.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is one of those parts where there were always dozens available at the pick-a-parts on every GM car equipped with a Quadrajet and air conditioning. Like a lot of other items, I never thought to stock up.

The electric solenoids were on mid 70's to roughly mid 80's carbs are available new and run from $45 to $55. There are probably quite a few places to order, but here's one I've ordered from: Quadrajet Idle Solenoids

I've used the solenoid that attaches to a carburetor mounting stud on an early AFB to replace the vacuum idle pot that never gave a consistent idle.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet one of those 75-80 types could be made to work on my 71 carb.

Hard to believe no one is re-popping such a simple device.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 3, one w/ bracket and screws, pm me if int.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱