67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default Burlwood Console & Dash Center

Hello all,

My 68 has a burlwood console and center dash but the surface is getting worn and a few chips in the finish. I've noticed a few vendors are selling replacements but I'm not finding any reviews. Ames and Firebird Central both carry them.

I'm curious if anyone has seen or purchased them. For the price these thing need to be pretty nice.

Thanks,

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear

Last edited by punkin; 05-05-2022 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All depends on your priorities, they look and fit nice but they are not acceptable if your goal is authenticity. The repro material is too dark, the grain doesn't look authentically like wood the way the factory ones do and lastly the sheen and surface have that kitchen cupboard liner feel to them.

I'd rather have a flawed original than a repro but if your originals are really yucky they are a good choice as original consoles in nice shape are rare and very expensive even if you can find them.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 05:56 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you. I haven't had the opportunity to see any of the aftermarket stuff. I appreciate the input. I'm not looking for concourse perfection but if it just looks wrong I don't want to mess with it. I've asked a couple of the vendors for installed photos but no one has been able to share them yet.

It's a wish item...not a need item at this point. Thanks!

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 05-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
All depends on your priorities, they look and fit nice but they are not acceptable if your goal is authenticity. The repro material is too dark, the grain doesn't look authentically like wood the way the factory ones do and lastly the sheen and surface have that kitchen cupboard liner feel to them.

I'd rather have a flawed original than a repro but if your originals are really yucky they are a good choice as original consoles in nice shape are rare and very expensive even if you can find them.
I have to chime in here and ask whether you are referring to the repop "STICK ON" burlwood or the repop consoles / dash centers. I bought the repop stick on material and found it to be not very authentic. Then I bought an entire repop console for around $500 +/- about 5 years ago. To me, it looks very nice and very close to the original in both grain and color. The original console woodgrain darkens in time for some folks, lightens for others so it's hard to tell what is correct. I have not seen a new dash center so I can't comment on them. Which versions / pieces are you commenting on?

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 05-15-2022, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was referring to the stick on replacements. Easiest way to explain the difference relative to original is that the originals are more yellow brown and look like a hi def photo of varnished wood while the repro is too reddish and looks more like someone smeared multi colored paints around to create the impression of wood grain from a distance without actually looking like wood on close inspection m.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)