Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-21-2000, 01:54 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone out there done a test on ceramic coating headers, inner and outer, on a dyno or at the track for consistent data on the same size headers and nothing else changed. I am wanting know if there is power to be gained, besides the engine compartment running cooler. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2000, 01:54 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone out there done a test on ceramic coating headers, inner and outer, on a dyno or at the track for consistent data on the same size headers and nothing else changed. I am wanting know if there is power to be gained, besides the engine compartment running cooler. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2000, 03:40 PM

I believe, in theory and from what little I've read about exhaust systems, there would be a slight improvement in HP due to increased thermal efficiencies that are far above my paygrade to figure out or explain. I'm sure one of the more senior board members could explain it. In practical terms, the ceramic coating will greatly extend the life of tubular type aftermarket headers and will keep cast iron ones rust free and looking new (providing they are treated with a cast iron colored coating)

Old 07-06-2000, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run Pontiac's with and without ceramic coatings on the headers. I can't say for the performance benefit but I can tell you the under hood temperature reduction is significant. The under hood temp without the coating was extreme. It would be almost too hot to lean under hood and set the timing after the motor was run for a while. With the coating, no problem. Additionally, I always needed a starter solenoid heat shield without the coating and found I did not need one when I had the coating. Anytime you reduce under hood temperature, it's going to be a good thing!

Eric D.