Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-26-2000, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Just got a post card in the mail from a company that claims they can save castings such as heads, intakes and exhaust manifolds. Process is called "stitching" Work can be done "on-site". Has anybody ever had any success with this process or any other? Company is

Metal Crack Stitching
1148 Haney Road
Stoudsburg, PA 18360
570-420-1195

Old 06-26-2000, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Just got a post card in the mail from a company that claims they can save castings such as heads, intakes and exhaust manifolds. Process is called "stitching" Work can be done "on-site". Has anybody ever had any success with this process or any other? Company is

Metal Crack Stitching
1148 Haney Road
Stoudsburg, PA 18360
570-420-1195

Old 06-26-2000, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard of different ways of repairing cast iron, one way is to use high Nickel rod when you weld. Someone told me there is some kind of oven that you use to heat the iron to a cherry red color and metal can be added if there are chunks missing, I had a set of Max Wedge factory headers once with a chunk missing out of one of them and the guy I sold them to was shure he could make an invisable repair to them using the oven technique.

Old 06-26-2000, 10:26 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

There are several people that can weld cast iron with a special rod. The welder must be VERY good at his trade. I have had several early HO manifolds repaired this way. I believe Jim Chervanka from Milwaukee can repair cast iron. (within reason)

Old 06-27-2000, 05:24 PM
Administrator

The interesting twist with this company is that they claim they do not use heat!!

Scott, you seem to have plenty of free time. LOL How about giving that company a call and getting some info for all to share.

Old 06-27-2000, 05:53 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

I have seen JB weld work on exaust manifolds.
It doesn't use heat. Is that what they might be using or possibily a variation of some epoxy?

Old 07-05-2000, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes you can weld cast iron, and yes you do use a nickel rod. If you have chunks missing this can also be fixed by using two rods while welding. One in your hand and the other in the welder. Its a method that has been handed down from generation to generation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Heating the piece in the oven just makes it easier to weld, you don't have to deal with any heat soak problems while welding. Just my .02 cents

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"
Check out my restoration at http://members.aol.com/jetmech15/gto

Old 07-05-2000, 09:26 PM

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 07-06-2000, 01:44 PM

Found a '66 GTO engine at a junk yard in Georgia that had thrown a rod through the inside portion of the water jacket. The hole was about 1 1/2" by 1" and the "chunk" was still in the pan. Bought the engine for $75.00 with the proviso that if I couldn't get it fixed I could bring it back and get my money back. Went to a local shop, where the owner was a welder for the local nuclear power plant. He basically said nickle-rod. His statement was that it will either crack immediately upon welding or it will hold forever. He has fixed several 6 cyl diesel semi engines that had cracked the full lenght along the pan rail because of freezing that had upwards of 200,000 miles on them after the fix with no problems. I had him try on my block and the weld came out OK, with no cracks. Realize there isn't a lot of stress in the water jacket, but it seems to be a somewhat proven technique.

Ed

Old 07-06-2000, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Chris:

No luck. I searched all over for "Stoudsburg", PA. All I came up with was "StRoudsburg".

I'll keep looking.......

Old 07-17-2000, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you Scott for checking in with another useless posting. LOL.

Old 07-25-2000, 11:16 AM

The company is in Stroudsburg, which appears to be North of Allentown PA near I-80.

Here's a link, not a very good page though...
http://www.plantfloor.com/pa/metalcrackstitching.htm

and here's a link that appears to talk about how it works...
http://www.JandM-Machine.com/stitch.htm

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time was a damned fool". Vincent K. McMahon

Old 07-27-2000, 04:22 PM

Blackcat above mentions JB Weld on manifolds. I had a water-cooled marine exhaust manifold that was eroded right at the exhaust port joint w/the head. I filled the eroded area in the manifold with several layers of JB Weld. Filed it flat afterwards. Never had another problem with it in 2 subsequent years of ownership. Just my 2 cents.