Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-25-2000, 07:31 PM

I am planning on an exhaust system for my '80 Trans-Am with a modified 400. My plans are for 4 into 1 headers(1 5/8" primary to 3" collector) Dr. Gas X-pipe (3" reduced to 2 1/2"), and Flowmaster Force II exhaust from there back (dual 2 1/2" to muffler and dual out). This system uses a crossflow muffler in the stock location(Dual in/Dual out). Every 2nd gen. f-body I see that has been modified, all I see when I'm behind them is those two turbo mufflers hanging down which doesn't help the appearance any(or clearance!). Has anyone tried this setup to maintain a stock appearance? Am I hurting horsepower/torque? Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2000, 07:31 PM

I am planning on an exhaust system for my '80 Trans-Am with a modified 400. My plans are for 4 into 1 headers(1 5/8" primary to 3" collector) Dr. Gas X-pipe (3" reduced to 2 1/2"), and Flowmaster Force II exhaust from there back (dual 2 1/2" to muffler and dual out). This system uses a crossflow muffler in the stock location(Dual in/Dual out). Every 2nd gen. f-body I see that has been modified, all I see when I'm behind them is those two turbo mufflers hanging down which doesn't help the appearance any(or clearance!). Has anyone tried this setup to maintain a stock appearance? Am I hurting horsepower/torque? Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2000, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We are using the crossflow Flowmaster in my dad's 1972 455 HO Trans Am. He had custom bent pipes made, but the muffler is great. He is running the original exhaust manifolds with the stock set-up. The muffler sounds very aggressive and it didn't hurt performance in the least. The car runs hard and if it is restrictive, we'd never know it. If you want originality with Flowmaster sound. do it and you wont look back. Rocky

Old 05-25-2000, 10:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Rocky! This car is being built to be stock looking with stunning appearance and exceptional street prowess. With this setup I should be able to obtain my goals. Again, thank you for the reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

Old 06-08-2000, 10:13 PM

Anyone had experience installing the Force II system on a 2nd Gen T/A 400? I am ordering it tom. Flowmaster rep said it will work with most header applications. I have a set of flowtechs. Looking for real world exp. dont always trust sales reps.Flowmaster part # is 17104 I believe.
Thanks
Rob