Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-30-2000, 03:31 PM

Have installed the Repro '67 RA Exhaust manifolds on my '66 GTO. Also installed four wheel disks, so I have the proportioning valve on the left hand side of the frame, just aft of the front cross member. Installed Fine Lines brake lines. Noted when I dropped the engine in the left exhaust manifold was awfully close to the brake line going over to the right brake (about 3/16" away). Took the rolling chassis to Tiger Run (NW Regional GTO show) this week end. Got a lot of good compliments, but several people told me that on the '67 with the RA manifiold, the brake line for the right side went over the top of the cross member and then across to the right side, passing in front of the cross member.

I plan on using silicon brake fluid. Do I need to be concerned about the heat in the line?If so would a stainless heat shield be enough to help?If not, does anybody have a picture of the '767 lines so I can make new ones?

Ed

Old 05-30-2000, 03:31 PM

Have installed the Repro '67 RA Exhaust manifolds on my '66 GTO. Also installed four wheel disks, so I have the proportioning valve on the left hand side of the frame, just aft of the front cross member. Installed Fine Lines brake lines. Noted when I dropped the engine in the left exhaust manifold was awfully close to the brake line going over to the right brake (about 3/16" away). Took the rolling chassis to Tiger Run (NW Regional GTO show) this week end. Got a lot of good compliments, but several people told me that on the '67 with the RA manifiold, the brake line for the right side went over the top of the cross member and then across to the right side, passing in front of the cross member.

I plan on using silicon brake fluid. Do I need to be concerned about the heat in the line?If so would a stainless heat shield be enough to help?If not, does anybody have a picture of the '767 lines so I can make new ones?

Ed

Old 05-30-2000, 05:45 PM

Ed,
What about moving the valve to the top of the frame? I moved my in anticipation of getting the valve away from the headers I was
going to use, It seems that location you chose is the same as the stock location and the brake lines run towards the cross member along the top edge and then go right along bottom groove on the back side of the cross member. keep us posted how you fare, I want to use the same setup eventually. what size pipes and crossover pipe are you using?

Old 05-31-2000, 02:03 PM

I could move the proportioning valve, but I bought a set of brake lines from Fine Lines and I'd have to cut and adapt them to move it. I may have to do that, but for now I'm gonna try & make it work in the "stock" location. As to the exhaust, I got a Gardner Exhaust system, so it is "original stock".

I have to lift my engine out again (for another reason) so I think I'll fabricate a polished stainless heat shield/reflector while it's out and then see how that works.