Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Netgear wireless router help

Does anyone else have one of these? I have just gotten Wild Blue and am trying to use this router supplied with system. I think it is bad. The 'wireless' icon does not light up and two machines can not detect a signal from it. One is known to function with wireless for sure. It has a good internet connection, power.

Also wonder if this is compatible with IMac OSX. I don't think it is from what I can gather from the worthless software included.

Fortunately I had all the network cable, connectors & tools here to hardwire 3 floors up, so I am not left drooling over the prospects of the high-speed connection trying to solve the Prob. over my olld dial-up.

Thanks for any help.

B.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you need to get into the modem configuration and turn the wireless on. I'm not sure about Netgear, but the ones I'm familiar with have the wireless turned off by default.

It'll work with any OS -- the router doesn't care.

If you can't figure out how to configure it, let me know. I'm sure there's info on the Internet if you don't have a manual.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,

That is right. I turned airport on on the Mac. Nothing. I can get it to partially go through loading itself when I have a LAN & wireleess hooked up. Then it gets hung up on this one stage & keeps loading the same page over until finally it just dies & wont go to the 3rd step or show you you are connected thorugh Safari. Has to be or it would not have been able to load the page. The auto set-up will not run/install from the CD on a Mac. It links you to a site that has a patch but only for old system versions nothing will work on OSX that I could see.

The PC laptop detects it automatic & was working 24 hours ago on another wireless network. It will not work after loading the software from the CD either, but I don't think you really need that from what the Tech said.

A friend just E-mailed & told me that he has had nothing but Probs with Netgear stuff.

Seems so simple. No indication that it is sending a signal on the device.

Thanks for the help.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead
I turned airport on on the Mac.
You need to turn on wireless on the router, I think. I assume it's a network switch with wireless built in? What model is it?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. Can you get into the configuration pages on the router via an ethernet connection? Do you have the manual?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks again

LPete. In typical computer moron fashion I have getten it to work with no clue as to what was wrong. There are no switches on the Router at all. Just ended up powering off satellite, computer & router & powering up in various orders until got the right combination.

It never did successfully install on the PC laptop. I gave up, shut it down turned back on & wireless signal was evident on router & laptop.

My biggest problem was I could not access the manual on CD on Mac b/c the router does not support OSX or greater (Brand new Hdw & software).

Anyway Thanks for your efforts to HOADA.

Bruce

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon