Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-28-2000, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know headers have been discussed a lot on this board. I have not seen the issue of ground clearance addressed much except for people saying they don't have good ground clearance. That is my experience also. Is there a D-Port header for a 68 A/Body that has good ground clearance? If so, which one/s(please list brand and part #s)? I rate ground clearanace as my top priority. I would also like easy fit and best performance but I'm willing to give up some ground in those areas to get headers with good ground clearance.

Thanks, Joel

Old 05-28-2000, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know headers have been discussed a lot on this board. I have not seen the issue of ground clearance addressed much except for people saying they don't have good ground clearance. That is my experience also. Is there a D-Port header for a 68 A/Body that has good ground clearance? If so, which one/s(please list brand and part #s)? I rate ground clearanace as my top priority. I would also like easy fit and best performance but I'm willing to give up some ground in those areas to get headers with good ground clearance.

Thanks, Joel

Old 05-30-2000, 06:03 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

Joel,
Both the Hooker Competition model (1 5/8" tubes), and Super Comp models (1 3/4" tubes) fit under the '68-72 A body cars very well. The exhaust pipes from the collectors fit well up into the trans. crossmember pipe openings. However, as with most production headers, some of the primary tubes are very close to the suspension parts and/or cross member, and may require some "adjustment". The smaller tube ones fit best and will run as well, at least to the 400-450 HP level. We strongly recommend you not buy coated headers, but rather complete all fitting and readjusting as required. Then send them to a Company, such as Air Born, for a good plating job if you wish. Contact me for header areas that may need additional work for optimum performance. Jim Hand

Old 05-30-2000, 06:20 PM
Exhaust Guru

Joel, Walker's #85114 are 1.625" and they fit fairly well. I have seen a couple of older sets that had one collector with an "angle up". I have one set you could borrow to test fit if you'd like. Send me anote at thand@sprintmail.com and we can talk about it.
Tom Hand