Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-20-2000, 03:05 AM

I recently purchased A low-buck set of headers from Warrior Racing for 64-72 GTO/TEMPEST/LEMANS. Aside from the fact that I have to make head modifications to make them fit (4-exhaust heads - had to drill and tap the front and rear holes) I was A little disappointed when I dropped (oops BEAT and JAMMED) them into place only to find out that when snugged up to the head, and I let the motor back down, the passenger side collector is about 1/8" away from hitting the transmission pan!

OUCH!

This doesn't even leave enough room to install the reducer, let alone allow the initial section of pipe to come anywhere near going through the rise in the trans crossmember where an exhaust pipe is supposed to go.

Anybody else ever do this?

These are JR headers, 1 5/8 primary, 3 inch collector.

Can A sagging motor mount cause this much offset? I recently replaced the motor mounts (11 months ago) and only put 1200 miles on the car since. Is there any difference on angle on the exhaust face on A 4 bolt head VS A factory 6 bold head?

I'm dealing with original 15 4 bolt heads, and thought about a difference between these and A 4x factory 6 bolt head.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS Car is 1970 LeMans w/1970 455 from elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by PontiacCrazy (edited 04-20-2000).]

Old 04-20-2000, 03:05 AM

I recently purchased A low-buck set of headers from Warrior Racing for 64-72 GTO/TEMPEST/LEMANS. Aside from the fact that I have to make head modifications to make them fit (4-exhaust heads - had to drill and tap the front and rear holes) I was A little disappointed when I dropped (oops BEAT and JAMMED) them into place only to find out that when snugged up to the head, and I let the motor back down, the passenger side collector is about 1/8" away from hitting the transmission pan!

OUCH!

This doesn't even leave enough room to install the reducer, let alone allow the initial section of pipe to come anywhere near going through the rise in the trans crossmember where an exhaust pipe is supposed to go.

Anybody else ever do this?

These are JR headers, 1 5/8 primary, 3 inch collector.

Can A sagging motor mount cause this much offset? I recently replaced the motor mounts (11 months ago) and only put 1200 miles on the car since. Is there any difference on angle on the exhaust face on A 4 bolt head VS A factory 6 bold head?

I'm dealing with original 15 4 bolt heads, and thought about a difference between these and A 4x factory 6 bolt head.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS Car is 1970 LeMans w/1970 455 from elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by PontiacCrazy (edited 04-20-2000).]

Old 04-20-2000, 02:23 PM

I had the same problem with a set of summit headers for the same car, the driver side collector angled up toards the trans crossmember. I had to heat the collector area right after the 4 tubes joined and bend it down to put an exaust system on. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2000, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Send 'em back. To do anything less is to accept low quality garbage. Do this and they'll just keep it coming.