Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone using AT&T/Yahoo DSL?

We are moving to Mississippi in the next couple of weeks.My wife will be attending to grad school.I am looking at moving up to cable or DSL from dialup when we get there.I wanted to get opinions on Yahoo DSL?Can 2 different computers use the modem?If so... can they be used at the same time?Thanks!

Eric

Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

DSL can be used with multiple computers at the same time , I would suggest DSL or a cable modem . Dial up doesn't cut it in a fast world, At&T has been very good for me and I live in Florida.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poor college student =dial up internet We didn't try Yahoo DSL here because we thought we may move and not finish a year of service.My wife will need to do ALOT of research when she starts school this fall so we will need cable/DSL that both of us can use at the same time.

Which level do you have of AT&T DSL

Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using it, yes it can be used with two computers at once, and i have not had any problems with it at all. I use their basic DSL and i had cable before. Not too much difference if all you're doing is surfing and down loading files, at least not $25 a month difference (in my case). Sign up!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

We have yahoo/dsl and it works fine for us. With our wireless network both the wife and I can log into work/internet with no problems. It takes some of the pain out of working late or on weekends

Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have it. It was flakey at first, but rewiring the incoming phone lines got it working 90% of the time. It used to go down a lot and we had a noisy phone line, but one day it cleared up, so they probably found the problem and fixed it.

If you have to call tech support sometimes you get India, sometimes you get USA. If I called at off-peak hours I got USA tech support more often.

The phone lines in the house have to have clean connections. Corrosion or loose wires will kill it. If they set foot inside your house to check a line it's an automatic $60 charge.

You have to be close enough to the phone company office. We'll never get the advertised speed because we are on the fringes, but it is working OK.

We had a 1 year introductory rate of $15 then it was supposed to go to $30. Just ask for a lower rate and they will knock it down to $20.

You'll need a router to hook up more than one computer.

The DSL modems have poor immunity to electrical noise, so keep it away from things like fluorescent lights and TVs.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have both computers hooked through a router to our AT&T/Yahoo DSL. The quality has been good. There have been a couple brief downtimes over the 2-3 years we have had it but not bad. We upgraded to the medium-speed HSI Pro last year and find the rate is plenty for our uses. They have specials so you can often renew it for the sale price or it runs $34.99/mo here.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've had it for several years. We have several computers on it with no problems, all going thru a wireless router. Works well, nothing blazing but much faster than dial up. On the cost, after your initial start rate expires, you can call them when you hear them offering a new low rate plan and usually get your monthly rate lowered for 3-6 months at a time. You just have to moniter your bill and be willing to call them a couple of times a year to get the lower rates or they will gladly stick you for the full price.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replys!We will probably get the cheapest one but it will still be alot faster than dialup. Never messed with a wireless router before so I may need help with that.
Fiedlerh,how far do you need to be from a tv?We usually have my computer in the living room.

Eric

Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

Love IT.
wireless are easy, connect like 3 wires to the router and your set. just put a disc in the computer, make some password. and your set.

get a good wireless router and make a password. otherwise all the other college kids are going to free load off of you. My router goes down the block with a good signal.(200feet)

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think AT&T said at least 3 ft away from any other electrical appliances. I have our DSL modem right next to a computer without the case covers on it and also next to the wireless router, and it works fine.

Supposedly there is software to break WEP encryption, so use WPA encryption for your wireless. Be sure to note the encrypted password. This is what you need to enter in the PC or laptop.

Linksys routers are known to be flakey, so consider other brands or check online reviews. Our Linksys goes on the fritz a couple of times a year and I have to go thru setup again.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With most routers you can also set MAC address security, i.e. each computer has a unique MAC address and you enter that in to the router so the router will only allow those particular MAC addresses into the router.

George

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had it until a month ago. They decided that they needed to shorten the max distance from the "switch" and without telling us cut out our service. I got cable internet and the speed is faster that Ive ever used. We hooked it to a wireless router and I have it on three computers. Works great

Im getting cable phone installed next.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM

I've had it for almost 3 years now and never had any problems. You do have call every so often to make sure you're getting the best rate, because they sure won't give it to you automatically.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski
With most routers you can also set MAC address security,

George
What is a MAC address George?

What is the max distance from the switch for DSL?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think max distance is 18,000 feet or 3.4 miles, but check with your local phone company. I'm 6 miles and it still works, but is slower than the advertised speed. Brian Baker might know more about this.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update

We are getting settled now and I checked into the Yahoo DSL but it's not available.We have Bell South here and their DSL is $19.95 for 256kbs Slower and a little more expensive that YahooAT&T DSL.On their website Bell South has been bought out by AT&T starting in early March 07.Sooo I hate to get Bell South if AT&T is buying them out.Do you think AT&T would upgrade to their standards or would they make me finish a year with Bell South?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm in south Mississippi and made the transition from bellsouth DSL to ATT and except for the home page there isn't much difference. My wife(48) just graduated from William Carey University and would have killed me years ago had we been stuck with dial-up.

bukweet

Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukweet
I'm in south Mississippi and made the transition from bellsouth DSL to ATT and except for the home page there isn't much difference. My wife(48) just graduated from William Carey University and would have killed me years ago had we been stuck with dial-up.

bukweet
How long ago was the change?I went to AT&Ts site and it directs me to the Bell South site.I just wanted the basic speed.AT&Ts basic is 761kbs for $14.95 and Bell South is 256kbs for $19.95.

Eric

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM

Wife says that's what it does. Go figure.
Whatever they call it, it's still better than dial up.
They changed us over about 45 to 60 days ago, if I remember correctly.
It might depend on where in the state you are how far along they are on the takeover/changeout.

bukweet