Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Default Putting a GTO body on a frame?

Let's say you had a '70 GTO body on a trailer and a rolling frame in your driveway. How would you get the body on the frame? I can't put it in the garage because there is nothing to suspend it from in there--plus there are other cars in there. The body isn't stripped and has a partial interior with glass, so it's probably 1000 to 1200 lb deal to lift in the air.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could try an engine hoist and straps to lift the body off the trailer, then roll the frame under it.
Or you could jack up the body one end at a time and put some heavy duty saw horses under it. They would have to be wide enough to get the trailer out.
Lighten the body as much as possible.
Or you could pull the body off the trailer onto some lower supports and raise it from there.
I have put bodies on heavy duty sawhorses in the past without any problems. As long as you don't jerk it around the sawhorses should hold it.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used 4 55 gallon drums some 2x6 (on end) jack up each end then move trailer away and roll frame into postion.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get 5 friends to help.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I removed, replaced (to move) then removed the body of my '66 during it's restification. I used a floor jack, jack stands etc. and built a dolly under it. I built the entire dolly, then disassembled it, and reassembled it one end at a time with that end jacked up. When the entire body was on the dolly, I was able to pull the chassis out. I then reinforced the dolly and put wheels on it so I could move it around. Putting the body back on the chassis was the opposite. It took me about 8 hours, working by myself to pull it, and about 3 hours subsequently.

When the body went to the shop, I bought a case of beer and some pizza, and had a bunch of friends come over and we lifted it onto the shop's dolly. The latter was by far the quickest and EASIEST way to do it!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

get about 6 people and lift it up and have some one pull the trailer out and roll the frame under it

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have access to a skid-steer? if so, roll down the windows, put a nice solid wood beam through and then run a chain from each end of it to the bobcat bucket above the roof. Lift the bucket and the car will follow.

Used to do this with Chevy truck cabs back in the day, without damage...

Old 07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Suspended

That's what I was thinking about doing. I could take it somewhere that they have one and drop the shell off and bring the frame back.
A big fork truck is how we put a complete car on the trailer a few months ago--with engine/trans, everything. We didn't bother protecting anything inside. It did almost no damage. The plastic welting that's above the side windows that surrounds the headliner was depressed (permanently) but that was all. No other damage--and it was only the front fork that did it. We could've used a blanket to keep that from happening too. I was just scrapping the shell anyway, so I expected worse.

It also turns out that this 70 shell is on a frame already--I thought it was just the shell. Now I still have a complete rolling shell in my driveway that I can't use.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

those frames are worth something

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink First...

pull the doors. Lots of weight there alone. Good luck. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.