The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-18-2010, 02:31 AM

Default How to prep for a vinyl roof installation??

What type of finish should be applied to my roof before I can have a vinyl top installed? A friend of mine said a few coats of epoxy primer after the rust is repair should be fine. Does that sound correct? I'm not a body/fender/painter so I honestly don't know.

My roof has some rust on it. Mostly surface rust with light pitting starting. There are no holes in it, the pitting isn't close to rusting through.

I was going to sand it down a little with my DA, them blast it lightly with some type of sand or whatever type of media is recommended. Them apply epoxy primer over the bare metal, put some body filler on it and sand it to make it as smooth as possible, then apply some filler primer then block sand that, then cover it all again with epoxy primer. Should I also apply an exterior finish type of paint before the vinyl top can be installed? Or will a few good coats of epoxy primer be enough?

Thanks, NYH1!

'78 Camaro, mild Vortec Head SBC 385 stroker motor, 9.1 comp. ratio, Lunati Voodoo 262/268 hyd. flat tap. cam, RPM intake, 650 AVS carb, TH350 w/Coan 11" 2600 stall, 8.5" 10 bolt w/3.42's and a Duragrip, 1 5/8" full length Hedmen Headers, 2 1/2" full length Flowmaster dual exhaust W/ transverse flow muffler. Gonna be a daily driver/mild street performance car!

Some sort of Poncho next.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 AM

Personally I'd spray some color on it, let it cure, scuff it lightly and install the top.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-18-2010, 03:30 AM

Thanks Mike!

'78 Camaro, mild Vortec Head SBC 385 stroker motor, 9.1 comp. ratio, Lunati Voodoo 262/268 hyd. flat tap. cam, RPM intake, 650 AVS carb, TH350 w/Coan 11" 2600 stall, 8.5" 10 bolt w/3.42's and a Duragrip, 1 5/8" full length Hedmen Headers, 2 1/2" full length Flowmaster dual exhaust W/ transverse flow muffler. Gonna be a daily driver/mild street performance car!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 AM

I put down a couple coats of epoxy, then just prepped and sprayed around the windows and all the edges with color and clear, with a full coat of clear on top.

Four years later, the sides are fine, but I'm starting to get some small bubbles by the rear window bottoms, right to the sides. This is right where the water collects when I wash it. I might try installing some drains in the window channel either side, I've seen it done on a-bodies. Drains off all the water quickly so it doesn't collect and rust. Another trick is when you install the window moulding clips on the studs, dab each with some rtv first, to seal it when the clip cuts into the paint. This will keep the studs from rusting out on you.

'05 Springer Classic
'07 Solstice GXP, wife's car
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its messy but works.
Try filling the channel full of non hardening window sealant,
put the trim on and let it ooze out,wipe of excess with proper solvent.
If you killed the rust before the top went on,it wont come back.
Vinyl tops are like a sponge ,you must keep them dry and sealed.
I prep the underside just like a normal paint job but use a single stage paint over the epoxy primer.
Dont glue the edges at the trim studs until after you blow a little body color in under it there.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the information. I want to make sure I do it right. I should add, that my car didn't come with or doesn't currently have a vinyl top on it. I want to put one on it. You don't see to many 2nd gen. Camaro's with vinyl tops. I like then and want to make my car different.

My car is going to be dark green (factory color), black gut and black vinyl top. I may add black deck line stripes on the hood and trunk lid, not sure though.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Good luck. Hope you do it better than my son's '72 GTO's previous owner. We ended up with a lot of corrosion under the top when we peeled it back for a repaint job. Had to cut off the whole top and replace a full quarter panel! uuuugh.

That work is done now and we're moving forward. Have fun with your project, sounds like it will be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3571.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	228387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	228388  

Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM

I want to do this the right way so it'll last and I don't have to do it again. Most people think I'm crazy for putting a vinyl top on my Camaro, especially since it didn't come with one. I'm building this car (as I'll build every other car in the future) the way I want it to be.

If/when I get a '68 to '72 A body Poncho, it'll have a vinyl top as well!