Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Crashed 78 4sp

Does anyone know how to remove ignition key from column lock cylinder?
The 40k mi. 78 Hurst 4spd. straight column car was in a collision, a ford focus ran a stop sign and I T-Boned it at the B-pillar sending the focus to the bone yard, thank goodness no one was in the passenger seat which was folded in half from the hit. The TA needs fenders, hood and bumper and a sub-frame horn straightened. Luckilly found a unmolested, in color bumper and the sub-frame seems to be close so far.
For some reason the ignition key will not go to LOCK position to remove it.
The lock out linkages look fine,the ignition switch on top of column seems fine, car starts and runs and turns off but the ignition lock cylinder will not return to LOCK to release the key. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks cRAsh78TA

Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If if still has all the original reverse lock out stuff on it, the car needs to be in reverse to remove the key from the ignition. The column moves with the shifter when it goes into reverse. If something got bent in the collision then it's not letting the mechanism return to reverse. There is a small pin in the column that holds the ignition cylinder in place. That will remove the entire cylinder which will let you get the key out. Check the column, check the lock out rods coming off the trans. I bet it got bent or is against the trans hump in the floor. There is no saying what is bound up. Time to get under the car and start looking. You have to remove the steering wheel and hub and turn signal switch to get to that pin.

BTW, glad your ok but damn that really sucks about the car. That makes me ill just thinking about it.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Hey thanks bonneville Joe,
I checked the links under car while someone shifted into reverse did'nt see anything obvious, column seems to rotate when shifted into reverse. I read somewhere, many moons ago, about PMD in the 70's putting collapsible columns in and if damaged it would require replacement but like everything else in my head it is all very fuzzy. And yes although the TA had minor damage compared to the ford it was disturbing to see.And sense going to the TA nationals this summer it is becoming an obsession to get this car back in public. Thanks again cRAsh78TA

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem man. I hear ya on trying to get your car done quick. I've been trying to get my '78 4spd SE painted for months but I'm too busy doing customer cars.

The column rotates counter clockwise when put in reverse. This is true on both auto and manual cars.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsh78TA View Post
Does anyone know how to remove ignition key from column lock cylinder?
slide hammer, wire cutters and a set of lock picks.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your problem is most likely that the crash knocked the lock
rod out of adjustment. loosen the adjusting bolt on the bottom of the reverse lockout rod and lengthen the rod a little so that the collar
on the steering column is pushed up as high as it can go in reverse,
then tighten the adjusting bolt.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Hey gtohurstjudge,
Thanks for the insight, you nailed it.
1-Loosened nut
2-Lock-out rod moved up approx. 1/4"
3-I heard the sweet sound of the cylinder in the column click
4-Tightened nut
5-Removed key, first time in 7 years.
I've been rebuilding mostly late models and forgot how to work on these road cars.
It's getting close to putting this car back on the roads and the key thing was begining to bug me. so Thanks again. cRAsh78TA
And 360Rocket, man that is just brutal dude.

Last edited by cRAsh78TA; 09-23-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add response to 360Rocket