Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Default I JUST BOUGHT AN 81 TRANS AM AND I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

HELLO LIKE I SAID I BOUGHT AN 81 T/A WITH AN ALL ORIGINAL 301 I WANT TO SWAP IN A 400 OR 455 (I HAVE ALREADY OWNED BIRDS WITH THE 301 AND THEY CANT EVEN BEAT A 5.0 STANG) SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS. IF I DO the swap i will do away with the computer correct? next i live in pennsylvania will i have any problems passing emmissions. i know i have to keep the cat on the exhaust but can i put a high flow cat on it. also how about the smog pump do i have to keep that. i am ready to swap it out but my biggest concern is emmisions testing.
i currently own a 73 formula 455 4speed and i have owed over 10 of these birds and t/a's from 1968-99 so i know alot about these cars but i have never owned an 81 computer controlled and done a swap on it.

sorry for all the questions
any help would be great. also even if you dont have emmissions in pa. let me know if you did the swap to an 81 and if it passes.
thanks rich

Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 PM

I've got an 81 as well, I put a 71 455 in it, and did not use the computer, wired arund it. I do not know about PA emmisions, but in TX it just has to pass a safety inspection, so I do not have a smog pump or cats, and am using headers. It is an easy swop, uses the same motor mounts, tranny, radiator, ect.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM

COOL THATS WHAT I WANNA DO BUT I AM USING A 71 OLDS 455.
DID ANYONE DO THIS THAT HAS EMMISIONS IN THERE STATE I WANNA KNOW IF IT USUALLY PASSES OR NOT.
THANKS