Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-18-2023, 09:10 PM

Default Ultrasonic Cleaning Carburetors

I have a few old carbs laying around that I want to go thru and one is especially dirty/oily, etc. So how to clean these carbs?? For those of you with experience utilizing ultrasonic cleaners, I'm curious about and interested using an ultrasonic cleaner, but wondering....

What type of fluid should the bath be? Carb cleaner? A specific ultrasonic fluid? I don't want to stain the the aluminum throttle body, so I'm thinking simple green is out. Berryman carb cleaner?

Thoughts/suggestions from anyone with some experience?

TIA

Old 11-18-2023, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This

And this, works great. This ultrasonic cleaner, which I have will bring the whole tub of water to a raging boil. You could cook a pot of stew in it, it gets very hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 19-42-22 640W ULTRASONIC CLEANER - 10L - 1 YR WARRANTY - EXPRESS SHIPPI.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	623455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 19-42-50 Ultrasonic Cleaner Solution for Carburetors and Engine Parts (.png
Views:	179
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	623456  

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 08:54 AM
Senior Chief

I use Spray Nine in my ultrasonic cleaner. Works great.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

La's Totally Awesome from the 99 cent store.
Pine Sol.
Simple Green.

All of those have worked great for me. I keep a pail of clean water next to the ultrasonic when I'm using cleaners that tend to leave a white residue as they dry; just dunk the part in the clean water as soon as it comes out and no problem.

I mostly do motorcycle carbs, but I got a 10 liter cleaner so I can drop a Quadrajet in it when I need to.

I've found I don't even need to pull the press in tubes when I ultrasonic clean; there's never anything behind them after a trip through the cleaner.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Crud Cutter, Dawn dish washing soap, Simple Green, and other degreaser type stuff and none of them ever spotted the aluminum or pot metal bodies, airhorns, or boosters off of any carburetor. Clean the chunky stuff off with a tooth brush or wire brush (for really crusty ones) and acetone before using the ultrasonic cleaner and your solution will last longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post: