Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Smile 1949 Cheiftian One Owner

Found a 49 Cheiftian , its my bosses, mother-in laws car, her husband bought it new and its been well taken care of and has been inside. I know its a black four door automatic car. They want to sell the car and I was going to go look at it. Does anyone know much about these, what do I look for besides the obvious things like rust or broken stuff. And any kind of value would be great.
LP

Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it run and drive and is it a straight 6 or 8? They do not usually bring a lot of money.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Senior Chief

8 cylinder and runs and drives all OK. Looks like about $3500 is the price, going to check into it a little more.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Larry, that '49 is a car you could drive anywhere you want. The straight eight / Hydra-matic is the desirable combo, like Steve says they're not worth a lot of money. We drive our '53 Chieftain everywhere it goes, next week to Vermont to check out the site for the 2010 Flathead Reunion. Check out www.earlytimeschapter.org You could have a lot of fun with that car, and it will always be there when you come back. People love to look at them, but they aren't worth stealing. Can you post some photos? The price sounds fair...sight unseen. You would be hard pressed to find a better value in an old car, especially if you are looking for something to drive and enjoy without having to do alot of work. IMO Pete

Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the car is as nice as it sounds and is turnkey (or close) it is a good deal.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

It looks OK, Im trying to get the car into my auto shop class, so I can get a good look at it all over. My dad had a 47 so he's all reved up over this one.