Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce,this was a run what ya brung deal,we only tested for weight and CI!That is what we wanted and what we got.ANYONE could have made-built a car for it.Maybe it is a one year deal,maybe someone else will decide to put THEIR own money up to sponsor a deal.The guys that raced it seemed fine with it.It will be up to Pete.REALLY did not care what others did.The LESS rules the better.Tom

Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estep455 View Post
my pleasure. wish i could have seen you get it fixed and make a pass. love the shirts, they are sweet! sorry ron that wasnt me. i havent raced anywhere out of town besides this race in a while.
Im sure it was prolly Matt Tankersley.. He has the Silver 70 Bickel car and Joe has a gold one

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would agree with Tom, the less rules the better.

The only thing I thought you might have done different, Tom, is maybe had 1 qualifying run on Sunday.
I think more people came in that may have gotten in the race.
(especially with the rain-out on Sat)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
"fewer"

Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Bruce,this was a run what ya brung deal,we only tested for weight and CI!That is what we wanted and what we got.ANYONE could have made-built a car for it.Maybe it is a one year deal,maybe someone else will decide to put THEIR own money up to sponsor a deal.The guys that raced it seemed fine with it.It will be up to Pete.REALLY did not care what others did.The LESS rules the better.Tom
Again appreciate what you and Jack did. Agree less rules the better. Offering that a sliding weight rule might have attracted more racers. The rules I offered might have a few basic ideas that you or others might want to consider should you try something similar next year. You dont have to use any of them, or you can use any you want, it was/is after all your race.

We use sliding weight to try to keep things fair small motor vs large motor. We add a bunch of things to keep it competitive. The series is in its 7th year and doing well.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"fewer"
Least

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Troy Tribby is my hero.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Tom and Jack, please dont take this wrong. I appreciate your intent and effort you put in to make the heads up event happen.

I have to agree with John Langer about 6.75 lb across the board break. Rams (NAShootout) rules would be worth looking at if an "honest" heads up NA shootout were to be reconsidered.

http://nashootout.com take a look at the different class rules.

http://www.nashootout.com/10.5.htm rules for 10.5" slick could be a reasonable guideline to find ideas for closer competition. Notice the sliding weight break John speaks of. Pro is lighter less restictive than 10.5 Radial is more restricted than 10.5.

Merely offering up a format guideline we (NAShootout) have and you are welcome to adapt any or all of the rules we use should you guys or others want to try this or something similar again.

I certainly would like to see all the fast NA door car Pontiacs at our events.

Bruce
Much better idea and set up..includes allot more Pontiac's

Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... The only thing I thought you might have done different, Tom, is maybe had 1 qualifying run on Sunday...
Tom and I weren't running the event!!! Neither of us is happy about the lack of qualifying opportunities.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Much better idea and set up..
"Talk is cheap", as they say...

Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac jack View Post
Tom and I weren't running the event!!! Neither of us is happy about the lack of qualifying opportunities.
Hey Jack! Kudos to you and Tom for sponsoring the class. It takes a special commitment to put your own money out there. Also, thanks for bringing the hemi to show and it was cool meeting you.

Eric

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
"fewer"
Correct or Translate this.

WTFC.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Correct or Translate this.

WTFC
Evidently not you.
You weren't there.

I'd say Tom and Pontiac Jack care.

Jack, sorry I thought you guys decided on the qualifying rules.

Still a great race.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac Jack, I'm glad we got to sit down for a few minutes and chat. Your Hemi is the cats meow. To me yours is the ULTIMATE Pontiac engine. One day I hope to have a Pontiac Hemi in an FED.

Kelvin, Besides my buddy Scott Frye you have the coolest T/A around. The stance is cool and it looks bad a$$. I'll see you in Kansas next year unless Bill, me and Scott don't make it up with the funny before then.

Steve B, always fun to have you around. Great time.

Gorgeous George, I don't know if I officially congratulated GTO George on his win of our match race. He cleaned up on me fair and square. Transmission issues- took out reverse and second as far as I can tell so far. We'll take it apart soon and get her straightened out. The good news is the Kauffman engine makes a lot of power.

Joe "Padron" Laster, Thanks again for the stogie and brew. It was fun hanging out with you.

Estep and Brad, it was good meeting you guys too.

Every year I get to meet a few more people so the rain out was put to good use.

For everyone that kicked in on my deal, I'll make it up to you next year with some good runs.

Last edited by SupergasDil; 08-13-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Evidently not you.
You weren't there.

I'd say Tom and Pontiac Jack care.

Here I stick up for ya dude when Scott M starts his Grammar school classes and you slam me???????????????

I didn't quote you and then you take it out of context????????

I like the format. A little too loose for my thinking but he pulled the car count and that is what REALLY matters.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
The car count was less then then what I expected, but how many cars would we have had if the rules were changed to fall more inline with Langers combination, maybe 2 or 3 cars? It was a great display of HP to cubic inch. It would be great to keep the format and look for a 16 car field next year.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Way to go Kelvin!!!
Congrats to all the other winners!! In reading all these posts I wish I could have went!! Hopefully be there next year although I guess I better get a bigger motor or lighten the old bird up if I want to make Q16!! Wow.. Heading to Iowa this weekend.. Hope to see some of you there!!! Mark

9:69 @ 136.88
Auto Body Unlimited Racing Division

Last edited by MarkZ; 08-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM

The weather situation limited the qualifying sessions; all of the specialty race programs are treated equally if I can do so. I could not offer a third qualifying sesson for the Pontiac Heads-up Class on Sunday without doing the same for the Quick-16 and Frantic Four.
I applaud Tom and Jack for stepping up to the plate and sponsoring this out of their own pockets because they believed in it. We agreed to the rules before it was announced, I made the decision to close quaifying based on the big picture of what we needed to get done on Sunday. Ultimately we ran every class, awarded every trophy and paid out all of the purse.
I will certainly consider changes to the format of the Pontiac Heads-up Class, first assuming I find a sponsor for it; but I too liked the minimal rules that Tom & Jack proposed. I've attended a few NMCA events, but none of the events mentioned by Bruce Wilkie, and would be interested in knowing how many Pontiacs are actually competing at these events.

Pete

Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Just got home from Norwalk Wed eve. Probably the last one home? Just wanted to congratulate all the winners.
Also wish to congratulate Pete the event promoter for a fine Pontiac event too!

Congrats to Bill Hamilton for his progress with his way cool Firebird funny car.

I had a fun time, got to help out a bit on the Dirty Bird, met a bunch of nice people and had an all around good time.
Norwalk is the best. I need plan to attend every year. What a great time.

It was a true pleasure to talk with so many people and see such fine Pontiac stuff.

I thought for sure the absolute ET and MPH record to be beat or reset but, I guess it was not meant to be. The weather sure had something to do with that which limited the runs possible for all teams.

I will take a crack at the record sometime this fall with my car, probably at the California Hot Rod Reunion. Although the aftermarket blocks have their virtues, the early 370/389 blocks are quite capable of doing the job too.

thank you all so much,
best to everyone,
Steve

Hosting -

* Apache County Motorsports day Sat August 29 St Johns, Az www.apachecountymotorsportsday.org

* Maricopa Motorsports Day Sat Octorber 17, 2009 Maricopa, Az

* 12th annual Pontiac Heaven March 27, 2010 Phoenix Speedworld Dragstrip www.pontiacheaven.org

* 8th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! Sunday March 28, 2010 Phoenix Speedworld Dragstrip www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

make plans to attend

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPROMO View Post
The weather situation limited the qualifying sessions; all of the specialty race programs are treated equally if I can do so. I could not offer a third qualifying sesson for the Pontiac Heads-up Class on Sunday without doing the same for the Quick-16 and Frantic Four.
I applaud Tom and Jack for stepping up to the plate and sponsoring this out of their own pockets because they believed in it. We agreed to the rules before it was announced, I made the decision to close quaifying based on the big picture of what we needed to get done on Sunday. Ultimately we ran every class, awarded every trophy and paid out all of the purse.
I will certainly consider changes to the format of the Pontiac Heads-up Class, first assuming I find a sponsor for it; but I too liked the minimal rules that Tom & Jack proposed. I've attended a few NMCA events, but none of the events mentioned by Bruce Wilkie, and would be interested in knowing how many Pontiacs are actually competing at these events.

Pete

I don't have a dog in that hunt, but hope it goes off again next year. I just love heads up out the back door racin.
Work a little on the rules without going nuts. LOL.
Tom, Pete or who ever is gonna get'er done. count me in as a small contributor to the heads up N/A event for 2010.

P.S. Might consider it for the spring race at VMP to get interest in the class and higher car counts?