Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Default 1950 silverstreak floors?

Now that my 68 catalina is done i've set my sight on a 1950 silverstreak 2 door fastback with a strait 6 and three on the tree. I went to look at the car and the body was strait but the floors were the pop rivet quick fix. the car has clean title and 67,000 on the odomiter the six runs great.

my questions are

1. What are the major problems with these cars

2. Does anyone make replacment floors for these cars?

3. What's a good parts source for these older pontiacs?

Thanks,

John-

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think if you check listings some you will find that the floor patches for Chevy of the same years will also work for Pontiac (maybe Olds). Everybody doesn't list that much interchangability but some do. Not positive who is right but a lot of body parts will interchange. Also try ebay and a seller called American Muscle (I think). Got lucky and scored a set of old rockers for my 61 Ventura from him. Try several variations of search wording as the listings are sometimes different. I only got lucky when someone on this forum tipped me to Am Muscle and I noted that the reason I hadn't found him myself is I always used "Pontiac" in my search and he listed the parts as "Catalina/Ventura". Actually they should even fit Bonneville/Star Chief. Be patient. Pieces may be available.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Chevy floors and Pontiac floors from these year cars are not the same. Pontiacs used an under-seat heater and the Chevys did not so the entire drivers side is different.

You might be able to get Chevy floors to work if you cut yours out from rocker to rocker and replaced them with the Chevy units. What this would do for your seat mounting, I do not know. You would have to do something creative with your heater since there is no provision for it elsewhere in the car. The defroster unit is mounted on the cowl, so that would not be an issue. Perhaps an aftermarket system would be the answer.

No body I know of is doing replacement floors specifically for Pontiacs at this time. Rocker panels, fender patches and so on can be "borrowed" from our Chevy friends, so if you need them, you can get them.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up parts source

California Pontiac Restoration is a good source for vintage/antique parts. I've used them in the past for my 37.

www.pontiacparts.net

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Moneypit,

I agree, CPR is awesome. Great service, hard to find parts and reasonable prices. Old Pontiacs like ours can get a lot of help from them.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info....

Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Is the motor the same as a chevy or is it a pontiac only?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Engine

Unless it's a canadian built car it should have a flathead engine. (Pontiac only)

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM

John, you have a '50 Streamliner, those models were the most popular in '46-'47 and gone at the end of '51. Other than rust, they don't have any real problems. The 239 straight six was fine with the standard trans, a bit lacking in power with the Hydra-matic. CPR is about the only big source for parts, otherwise you will be dealing with a few guys around the country who deal in these Pontiacs. Check out www.earlytimeschapter.org for more information. Your car is capable of traveling all day at 55mph if maintained in stock condition. Pete