Old 02-22-2021, 01:11 AM

Default Tremec TKX install in my 65 LeMans

I had planned on installing a Auto gear M22 variant this winter to replace the M20 mainly to increase the strength and I wasn't interested in cutting up the floor for a 5 speed conversion but after hearing about the TKX I decided to order one. The total cost is right around $6000 Canadian or about $4800 USD , yes its expensive but I was able to offset 1/2 the cost by selling my old set up and a few other parts I had laying around. The Auto gear was going to run just around $4000 with taxes and shipping so a couple thousand more and I get a OD trans. I still need to get the driveshaft shortened and the weather is still crappy here so it wont be until about April before it hits the road . I went with the close ratio version 2.87 , 1,89, 1.28, 1.00, .68 OD the car has 3.23. rear gear and the tires are 25.68" tall. so at 70 mph it will be right around 2000 rpm.
First Picture is right out of the box with the shifter handle installed.
Second is the offset shifter

Last edited by TB1; 02-22-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:16 AM

I had bought one of the Browell Bell housing tools awhile ago so finally got the chance to use it and it worked well. In the end I needed some .007 offset dowels to get it dialed in.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 AM

Once the bellhousing was dialed in I installed an 11" McLeod dual friction clutch kit and got right at installing the trans. No cutting to the tunnel is required it fits nice. But its not a direct bolt in Due to the shifter I used the shift porch needs to be cut as well as a small piece at the back left side of the tunnel this is only required to clear the shifter.

Shifter offset from above:

Shifter position in the car:

Shifter porch laying in place ( i cut to much out needs some welding)

Carpet laid in place to see how it would all fit.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:30 AM

The factory crossmember was used and only required a small amount of cutting to clear.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great write up. Thanks for the pics. I'd be curious how that McLeod clutch works out for you.

Charles

Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the shifter handle and offset piece come with the trans? I see you checked for concentricity but did you check for parallel first?

Old 02-22-2021, 09:28 AM

Default TKX

Tb1,. Nice job looks great, I’m planning on this same set up for my 64 gto,..

Who did you buy it from, and what other extra parts did you have to buy to complete the placement of the shifter.. and install..
What gear lube is recommended, what splines package is offered...

I plan on using a dual disc, Ram or Mcloed clutch setup...

Sorry for the Q&A...

Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed View Post
Tb1,. Nice job looks great, I’m planning on this same set up for my 64 gto,..

Who did you buy it from, and what other extra parts did you have to buy to complete the placement of the shifter.. and install..
What gear lube is recommended, what splines package is offered...

I plan on using a dual disc, Ram or Mcloed clutch setup...

Sorry for the Q&A...
Q&A is good: trans is a 26 spline input 28 output (ford style yoke)
I bought the trans, shifter, output shaft yoke, speedo adapter, reverse light pigtail as a package from a place in Canada called Gears to GO. reason being he's within a couple hours of my location so pick up was easy and if I have a problem I'm not sending it back to the States and waiting weeks on shipping each way plus the extra shipping costs.
I bought the clutch and Hurst shifter stick along with new flywheel bolts from Summit racing that completes the package other than getting the drive shaft shortened once measured.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Did the shifter handle and offset piece come with the trans? I see you checked for concentricity but did you check for parallel first?

The shifter came with the trans as part of the package. Its made by these guys
https://redrobertsinc.com/ The shifter stick was purchased from Summit and is the only round stick I could find with the Hurst logo to remain looking somewhat stock, original application is a 69 Camaro so it does have a bit of an different offset. As for checking for parallel no I did not, actually never thought of it but I'm in the mock up stage somewhat so could go back and check it.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM

TBI, thanks for the info...
I’ll be checking here in the states on pricing soon...

Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice write up. Another option for those of us with the offset shifter is one from Silver State. They have a proprietary STX shifter which moves the shifter porch or turret to the side where the shift opening is. The prevents contact with the tunnel and requires no cutting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GS455 View Post
Very nice write up. Another option for those of us with the offset shifter is one from Silver State. They have a proprietary STX shifter which moves the shifter porch or turret to the side where the shift opening is. The prevents contact with the tunnel and requires no cutting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Had I ordered from the states this is the route I would have gone for sure As I wanted to use my stock shifter boot but now will need to get something bigger but my car is by no means stock so I'm ok with that.

On a side note I pulled the whole works out again this morning to check that the bellhousing is perpendicular to the rear of the engine block which I missed when reading the instructions from Tremec so once this is completed I'll check the bellhousing run out again and install the trans hopefully for the last time.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're going to love it.
Both SST and American Powertrain make the small offset shifters that clear the tunnels nicely and have several clocking positions as well for specific placement.

What you did though isn't bad to do and works fine. No big deal.

Hope the weather in the great white north clears up enough to enjoy that overdrive. It'll completely change the driving experience.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-22-2021, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You're going to love it.

Both SST and American Powertrain make the small offset shifters that clear the tunnels nicely and have several clocking positions as well for specific placement.

What you did though isn't bad to do and works fine. No big deal.

Hope the weather in the great white north clears up enough to enjoy that overdrive. It'll completely change the driving experience.
I believe it's apples and oranges here. From looking up the white lightning on the interwebs, it appears that solution is simply a shift handle offset extension or link. The STX actually moves the shift tower off center and places it in the factory shifter hole opening, where it won't contact the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2021, 09:24 PM

Default 🔰 Does anyone know❓

Does anyone know, how this setup would work with an original 4-Spd center console❓

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes
What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time
Old 02-23-2021, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great thread! I’m planning on one for my ‘67. I have an indexing plate for a T-56, wonder if that will work to dial this one in?

Old 02-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO3DEUCES View Post
Does anyone know, how this setup would work with an original 4-Spd center console❓
I would like to know that also

Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM

awesome build . private message sent

Old 02-23-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
I would like to know that also
I have the trans out again to make sure the bellhousing is perpendicular to the block (missed this part in the instructions from Tremec) and re dial the bellhousing if needed. Once its installed again I can get a measurement from the trans hump to the top of the shifter body.

Going from what I read these shifters say they will fit factory location with/without a console my car does not have a console. If you order from SST they have a side exit shifter that will for sure allow the console to fit see the photo someone else posted below.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Great thread! I’m planning on one for my ‘67. I have an indexing plate for a T-56, wonder if that will work to dial this one in?

The TKO and TKX both have the regular Muncie style input shaft register so a stock bellhousing can be used, using a dial indicator to get the proper run out. also need to check that the bell housing is perpendicular to the block as well