WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 General Tech/Discussion

93-02 General Tech/Discussion 1993-2002 Firebird/Trans Am General Tech/Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pass lock /security system fix

Just thought I'd throw this up on the forum since months of research sent me to various forums with threads full of theories, possible fixes and most never ended with an actual solution so I'll put my story up here.

Bought a 97 firebird that had the passlock resistor key test bypassed by the known fix of cutting the wires going to the ignition cylinder and hard wiring the correct resistor value in there so it didn't rely on the resistor key recognition. My car had had a remote starter installed at some point prior and had already been removed by the time I got the car so the resistor was still in place (so I could just get a standard key copied without the resistor and it would still start) Remote starters always do this fix to get around the key not being in the ignition.

things were fine initially even though the security light would flash up occasionally while driving it. By the end of the year I started having problems that it started bringing up the security light at trying to start the car even though resistor was still in place and replacing with new resistor didn't solve the problem. when that happens you get no crank and have to sit for 2 minutes for it to reset because the car thinks you're using the wrong key and it thinks it's being stolen so it shuts down the starter and the FI system. I ended up finding a bypass for that on ebay which is an emulator that sends the fuel enable signal to the ecm and then you also bypass the starter relay so it takes the security module out of the equation. Things were fine after that until I parked the car for the winter and then went to start it up a few weeks ago. Battery was dead. I charged it up and things were fine for a day. Then one night, car starts and dies immediately. Over and over again, the motor would fire and then immediately shut down. Do this ten times in a row, sit there staring into space hating the car and then try again and it fires right up without a hint of a problem. Security light on but since it was bypassed, that shouldn't have mattered. More internet research. It's cause is pointed at the fuel injection system not enabling. Possible causes: MAF sensor, bad door sensor making the computer think the car's being stolen. yada yada.... and none of it fixes the problem. This happens every few days. Security light constantly coming on and off while driving and every few days the start/die thing that lasts anywhere from 3 to 15 tries.

Friend listens to a mechanic's podcast suggesting a bad battery in response to someone's similar problem. I check the car, charges fine at 14v while running and battery shows weak but okay with a load test. I decide to change the battery anyways. Not a problem since and no random security lights on the dash anymore. No where in any of my internet searches did it ever suggest the cause was a weak battery that was upsetting the computer. In my case the battery was always strong enough to start the car so didn't exhibit any signs of being bad. I just figured I'd leave this out there for the next unfortunate soul that has one of these dumb ass Passlock protected GM cars to find this info for!
The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post: