Old 09-04-2022, 10:21 AM

Default Subframe/Body Mount Bushing Recommendations

Need to replace my subframe/body mount bushings on my 68. I'm torn between metal with Delrin and going back original rubber. Any recommended vendors for both types? Any pitfalls going solid? I don't want to end up with body panel issues. Thanks all!

Old 09-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went with aluminum on my 72 and it is STIFF! Almost too hard to enjoy on regular roads.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

How much power does the engine make and how does the car typically get driven?

If you’ve got a fairly heavy hitting engine in the car mixed with a good amount of traction, I’d recommend solid bushings. If the car is near stock and driven only as a cruiser with maybe some fun from time to time, go with a good quality stock replacement.

The Ridetech bushings are aluminum lower with Delrin upper bushing which gives you the strength of a solid bushing but doesn’t transmit as much to the body. You will still notice it though, especially on rough roads.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the Firebird convertible use extra bushings? If so you could install the extra convertible bushings and gain the stiffness and avoid the harness.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
How much power does the engine make and how does the car typically get driven?

If you’ve got a fairly heavy hitting engine in the car mixed with a good amount of traction, I’d recommend solid bushings. If the car is near stock and driven only as a cruiser with maybe some fun from time to time, go with a good quality stock replacement.

The Ridetech bushings are aluminum lower with Delrin upper bushing which gives you the strength of a solid bushing but doesn’t transmit as much to the body. You will still notice it though, especially on rough roads.
Pushing 400 HP, but mainly a cruiser. I think I'm going with rubber. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

What you could do if you have the budget for it, is to add a set of the Ridetech subframe connectors. Their design allows them to work with rubber subframe mounts.

It’ll help provide some additional strength with the added power without sacrificing the NVH that comes with solid body mounts.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I installed solid aluminum body bushings it helped clean up some tweaks in the mount locations. I didn't notice any changes in ride quality compared to the collapsed stock stuff. Except it felt very clear the suspension was now getting directly loaded and allowed to do it's job more accurately. There might be a small amount of additional vibration but for me over all it was a very positive thing. I also sprayed them with undercoating before installing to blend it in a little better.
At the same time I installed Herb Adams delrin style A-arm bushing and really liked it. The car doesn't have any rubber in it anymore and it's not very abusive.

for reference I have tried polyurethane in a totally different car and didn't enjoy the squawking everyone warns about (control arms.) I'm not totally nerve dead hahaha.

This like many things would be easy to swap back out if you changed your mind.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have changed from rubber to solid. Have yet to get the car going.