Old 09-20-2022, 06:43 PM

Default 1968 fiber optic ignition

Is this a good deal? I just can't tell anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115442554410

Old 09-20-2022, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

The seller doesn't mention if light still transmits through the fibers. If the fiber cable was ever bent, the glass fibers would break causing less light or no light if all were broken. I installed the tail light fiber optics at the Pontiac dealer back then and they were easily damaged when they were wadded up in the package or when I was trying to route them out of the way in the trunk.

I'm not a purist, but if it were me and I wanted the light, I would drill a hole in the case, and glue a warm-white 12V LED in place (Amazon). Cost is less than a dollar.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:24 PM

i think it's silly for what it is. The only thing special about it is the ring receiver. Everything else is available. the light socket is $15. The fiber optic is $30. I'm actually making one out of an extra dash ground tin and some brake tubing.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For five bills you'd think it would at least have the correct style key.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always wanted one ... but figured if I can't find the key hole I probably shouldn't be driving

Old 09-21-2022, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is nothing special about the fiber optic cable, it's the same as the ashtray one. Only the ring that holds it to the ignition switch is unique. It was also available on the big cars too, I pulled one from a big car in a salvage yard 25 years ago and installed it on my 68 GTO. It's more of a gimmick, you have to turn your headlights on first in order for it to work, which you never do.