Old 09-09-2022, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update.

It's been awhile, I know. Nothing wrong. Just a slowdown with some things going on and when I do work on the car, the processes of what I'm working on are slow.

I did a bit of research about polishing stainless steel I had never checked out the products that Caswell plating offered until now. I had only been using the Eastwood products previously. Caswell has a broad range of both compounds and wheels that can be used for stainless where Eastwood just a single choice choice per step.
Caswell also has a "How To" booklet that explains the differences in their choices pretty well.
For the first step on a sisal wheel they offer a couple of different compounds. One they call Super Sisal and I bought a couple bars of those. For the second step they offer a wide choice of compounds. I ended up buying bars of their standard cut, fast-cut and extra-fast cut choices. All the bars are made by Formax and are pretty large.

They also had some choices for the wheels used on the second step. They carry a vented buff wheel that is advertised to hold more compound and keep the part cooler which speeds up polishing. They also carry a yellow colored vented wheel which is specialty treated for longer life and is more aggressive. I bought one of both types to see how I like them. The also offer a yellow colored treated sewn wheel and I bought one of those too.

For my first test with these new products, I polished the top well stainless trim pieces. I used the Super Sisal compound for the first step. I believe it is better than the emory compound from Eastwood. For the second step, I used the untreated vented wheel with the "fast cut" compound. It did cut somewhat faster than using a standard sewn wheel with the Eastwood compound. Not quite the luster at the end but polished up nicely on step 3 using a loose wheel with the Eastwood white rouge compound.

Here's how the 2 pieces look after installing them on the car. These pieces are not easy to install at all and a bit tricky to get the end tabs into place behind the outer quarter window weatherstrip.

As you can see, I color sanded and polished that area before installing the trim. I'm happy with the way it fits and looks.

I purchased a used driver-side seat belt retractor from GTO.Paul. I removed the guts and took the parts out I needed to rebuild mine. Not easy to do but I got it and it works perfectly now.

I had purchased a reproduction sport steering wheel from Ames over a year ago but I thought this was good time to go ahead and get it installed. It was their complete assembly. Also had purchased their ignition and door lock set with matched keys so this was the time to install the new ignition lock too.
Very happy with the way it looks. Horn works perfectly too.

I thought a long time about what I wanted to do about the fact the front of my car sits higher than I want. I also measured and it sits about 1 1/2" higher than the height than the assembly manual states what it should be. After researching and searching forums for all A-body cars of this vintage, I decided to try a set of Moog 5372 springs.
Looks like they powder coated these but there are some defects so I'll touch those up with black epoxy primer. They got delivered today.

Still waiting for trim rings from OPGI. Also I'm starting to get anxious to get my seats. I went down to the interior shop and it sounded like he would get to them very soon. That was 3 weeks ago so I hope to hear from him any day. I told him I'd like to have the buckets but the rear seat could wait. I also told him I'd like to put it on his schedule to get the top installed in mid-October if possible and he thought it might be doable.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking great!
On those long piece of trim I gave up and started polishing them after they were installed. Tedious ... but not as tedious as maneuvering a big piece of trim at the buffing wheel.

Old 09-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the update and report on the Ames sport steering wheel. Been thinking about upgrading my standard wheel, good to hear it all works as it should. We’re anxious to see you get on the road with this!

Old 09-23-2022, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
Thanks for the update and report on the Ames sport steering wheel. Been thinking about upgrading my standard wheel, good to hear it all works as it should. We’re anxious to see you get on the road with this!
I am happy with the wheel kit. It didn't come with every screw you need but I found what I needed in the box that I throw all my extra ones in from other jobs. It doesn't come with instructions either so it took me a while to figure out how it all goes together. You do have to cut the horn contact pin as the one they give you is too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Looking great!
On those long piece of trim I gave up and started polishing them after they were installed. Tedious ... but not as tedious as maneuvering a big piece of trim at the buffing wheel.
Thanks.
I can't imagine how tedious polishing stainless on the car would be. I've never tried it.
I don't have any trouble with maneuvering the long stainless with my free standing polisher with the long shafts and large wheels. Always have to be thinking about your holding angles though.

I've still been plugging away on my project and will have an update coming in within the next day or 2.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 09-23-2022, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your work and your car are terrific!!
Not knocking you at all, but I am curious about something. You've chosen to modify certain aspects of the car with a variety of newer technology parts and systems (i.e. fuel injection) but I believe you left the suspension stock. Relatively speaking, these cars deliver a nice ride but handle poorly. As someone that may (or may not lol) finish my car someday, I'm curious about the thought process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MY 68.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	599210  

Old 09-23-2022, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

I had mentioned previously that the seller of my car had included a pretty nice set of seat belts from a coupe. There were a couple of things broken but since coupe sets have shoulder harnesses, I was able to put together everything for my convertible that was pretty near perfect. Cleaned and polished all the plastic covers and they all appear new. Didn't have to buy any parts other than the d/s retractor that I showed in my last update.

Installed in the car and ready to go:

I received both arm rest bases with my car but one side was broken while the other side appeared OK. I bought a reproduction one from Ames but it was pure garbage. The shape was off and the details weren't the same and the new pad wouldn't even fit on it. So I contacted GTO.Paul to see if he had an original he could send me and he did. In that process I discovered the one I got with the car that wasn't broken was made in Taiwan so it couldn't have been an original. So, I bought a pair of originals from Paul instead of just one.
Got them in from him and then painted them using the same parchment colored paint that I had purchased for the head rests.

Got the new Moog 5372 front coil springs installed last Saturday while watching football. I separated the lower ball joints and did not remove the calipers. I didn't know if this would work or not but it did. A little tricky though and I don't think I could have done it that way if I didn't have that spring compressor that I had bought last year (post #365)
Very pleased with the stance it has now. The front came down about 1 1/4". It might come down a little more as they settle in after driving but that would be OK since I can still maintain the stance by adjusting the air pressure in the rear bags.

So as it sits now the floor to the front measuring point is 9.9" and floor to measuring point on the rear is 11".
The nominal heights according to the assembly manual are 9.6" front and 9.1" rear for the 4267 GTO. Seems strange to me that they say the rear is supposed to be lower than the front. I can lower the rear by adjusting the bags but don't think I'd ever want it lower than the front.

Color sanded and polished out the areas around the door handles & locks, d/s rear view mirror and trunk lock and got those items all installed:

Finished installing the door panels today and am very pleased with how they fit and look.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car is looking really nice.... if you look at some of the old ads for our GTO's you'll notice that they DID sit lower in the back. It's funny but in the 80's we all had them jacked up in the rear and that definitely has a negative impact on handling..... Carry on, can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Your work and your car are terrific!!
Not knocking you at all, but I am curious about something. You've chosen to modify certain aspects of the car with a variety of newer technology parts and systems (i.e. fuel injection) but I believe you left the suspension stock. Relatively speaking, these cars deliver a nice ride but handle poorly. As someone that may (or may not lol) finish my car someday, I'm curious about the thought process.
Thank you for the compliment!
I'd be glad to share my thought process on that.
First of all here's what isn't stock with the suspension and frame presently:
-All front control arm bushings are urethane.
-Front sway bar is stock but all the bushings are urethane.
-Rear springs have Airlift air bags installed in them.
-Added rear sway bar.
-Boxed lower control arms in the rear
-Added frame to rear control arm mount braces
-Added GForce transmission cross-member.
-4 Monotube shock absorbers

Added all up, I think this will make a nice improvement to what the stock handling was. I think the ride will be improved too. In my experience, monotube shocks make a pretty big difference over twin tube designs. Granted, I went with the KYB which is the cheapest monotube available but I've been very happy with these on my other cars that have had them. Another thing that will make it a little better in the curves is the 7" and 8" wide wheels I'm using rather than the stock 6" wheels.

Anyway with all that said, my goal with the car was to do a very mild restomod. I wanted some nice modern things but to also to keep it as stock looking as I could. Also, I will drive this car pretty easy. I wanted it for nice for cruising both around town and some highway driving. I like a car that will go when you step on it but I'm not likely to do a whole lot of tire-spinning or ever take it to the limits around turns so performance is a bit down the list for me. Ride quality is high on my list.

We shall see what I get. I will consider more suspension mods if I'm not satisfied with what I have once I get it on the road. I'd consider higher quality shocks. Maybe adjustable or double adjustable. I thought about doing that but I decided I wanted to give these KYB a chance first. I'd consider a larger front sway bar too. The seller of the car gave me the stock front bar and a 1 1/4" bar. I thought about putting that fat bar on but again, I wanted to try the stock bar with the urethane bushings first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
The car is looking really nice.... if you look at some of the old ads for our GTO's you'll notice that they DID sit lower in the back. It's funny but in the 80's we all had them jacked up in the rear and that definitely has a negative impact on handling..... Carry on, can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you sir!
Interesting. I'll go look at some of those original ads again. I doubt anybody today would try to obtain that look except for maybe concours restorations.

Last edited by roger1; 09-23-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the reasons was ventilation of the rockers:

pressurised air from the cowl would flow thru the rockers and out,
supposedly drying them out and stopping rust.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger have you sorted out your rocker trim yet? I know you went with aftermarket for your extensions, how about the main rocker? I just ordered a full kit from Ames, back ordered ... wondering if you have all yours yet.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Roger have you sorted out your rocker trim yet? I know you went with aftermarket for your extensions, how about the main rocker? I just ordered a full kit from Ames, back ordered ... wondering if you have all yours yet.
I purchased a pair of the main rocker trim stainless from Ames a couple of weeks ago and have received them. First glance they look very nice but I haven't taken the protective film off of them yet. My original rocker extensions appear to be in fine shape and would only need to be polished up. However from what I understand, Pontiac stopped putting the extensions on '69 GTOs sometime during the mid-production run. I have decided to not put them on my car as I don't think they really add anything to the looks of the car.

If it's just the extensions that are on back order, you can have mine. If you do buy just the main pair from Ames, make sure they don't charge you the oversize charge twice since they ship in the same box. They did with mine but I called and they refunded the second charge to me.

Last edited by roger1; 09-24-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I restored all of my original trim, But did end up buying the aftermarket center rocker pieces. They look decent.
What I found is they have ripples when you look down them as you would checking body work on a long quarter panel.
But that seems to disappear when on the car because of their low location. You have to lay your head on the ground near
the tire to see it after they are installed.

What I ended up modifying on mine, was removing material on the backside where the rolled over edge hooks on the rocker clips.
They initially would not come down far enough. Not a big deal. Taped up all the edges & just keep test fitting & removing more material.

I used a finger grinder which made the work easy. Much better to have to remove material rather than than need more
One side need more work than the other, so I am going to guess this is a piece by piece situation & they are all likely a little different.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Despite Ames saying they were back ordered the appear to have sent the whole kit ... at least they charged me for them and I have a package coming from UPS that weighs 10 lbs. only thing else I ordered was some small clips ... which I don't think weight ten pounds.

Sorry Roger, I confused the rocker extensions with your windshield post trim ( I came across the same polishing issue with my extensions that you had with your post trim)

Several times now Ames has charged me double shipping .... I'll add something like a 0.1 oz clip or bolt and someone how the shipping jumps $10 even though it all comes in the same box. Shipping for the rocker kit and a few very small items was $56 from NH to NY .. somehow I still end up paying shipping for tiny parts that I'm sure will be in the same box ... they gotta sort that stuff, it gets annoying.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Despite Ames saying they were back ordered the appear to have sent the whole kit ... at least they charged me for them and I have a package coming from UPS that weighs 10 lbs. only thing else I ordered was some small clips ... which I don't think weight ten pounds.

Sorry Roger, I confused the rocker extensions with your windshield post trim ( I came across the same polishing issue with my extensions that you had with your post trim)

Several times now Ames has charged me double shipping .... I'll add something like a 0.1 oz clip or bolt and someone how the shipping jumps $10 even though it all comes in the same box. Shipping for the rocker kit and a few very small items was $56 from NH to NY .. somehow I still end up paying shipping for tiny parts that I'm sure will be in the same box ... they gotta sort that stuff, it gets annoying.
So I removed my new pair of rocker stainless from the board they shipped them on and removed the film. The shine on them is very good and at first glance I thought they were good to mount without any work. Then I saw that one of them had a small ding right in the middle. A ding in these would show up like a sore thumb (at least to me it would). I decided to fix myself rather than send it back since it was just one ding. I flattened it with a hammer and wood dowel with a sandbag backup and then filed with 180 grit on a paint stick piece. Then 320,400,600,800 and 1000. Now ready to polish.

Btw, I see what 68ragtop meant about ripples but I think it would be over critical to complain about it. You pretty much have to put your eye right up to the end to be able to see it. Like he said, you'd never see it when mounted on the car.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine should be here today ... hopefully safe and sound.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They got there in good shape ... and they are very nice in my opinion, fit seemed spot on. Hardware all worked nicely.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
They got there in good shape ... and they are very nice in my opinion, fit seemed spot on. Hardware all worked nicely.
Good deal!

Well, I shouldn't have tried to repair that ding that was on one of mine. The stainless does not polish out worth a darn. Worse for polishing than the w/s post trim. Now I can't return it.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that sucks. I looked at the finish on mine and was about to try some polishing, they are quite shiny but just a step below mirror. Something about the finish on the SS said to me .. don't try it. It's got a very, very subtle brush pattern to it so I knew I'd have to do the whole thing if I started. I'm guessing it must be very hard SS, or treated in some way to harden the surface. It has kind of a "pickled" color to it, not as "white" as OEM SS seems to be.

Well, you certainly can't have wasted as much money as I have buying things twice so don't feel too bad

Old 09-27-2022, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger,
My new rocker trim(both sides) was shipped in a long triangular package and I was really pleased with it. Unrelated, I saw 2 69 Liberty Blue verts at a small club show over the wknd. Both were cars I had never seen and looked great. Here's one of them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220925_131832.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	599415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220925_114902.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	599416  

Old 09-27-2022, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few thoughts on the rocker moldings and the rear extension moldings aft of the rear wheel.

1… the rear extensions were cut on hardtops in February but were continued (in some plants at least) to the end of the model run. I think they really enhance the look of the car. That molding seems to “thin” out the quarter panels and lengthen the car. I’d definitely go for them. They used two systems to mount them, earlier cars used the 68 system of 3 windshield molding type welded pins on top with retainer clips and then 3 screws on the bottom. Later cars switched to the upper retention being with 3 oval holes in the panel with metal retainers that had a protrusion that was swell secured to the quarter.

2… as for the repop rocker moldings they are quite a nice product and I don’t find the color any different than the originals. Perhaps your car was a late build? Late cars switched to an aluminum rocker molding (from stainless) and they definitely have a bit of a whiter tinge to them. Btw, only the rocker moldings switched to aluminum. The wheel opening moldings and the quarter extension moldings stayed stainless all year.

Btw, the only issue I find with the repop moldings is how thin they are. If your car has the fenders very true and straight to the line of the rocker panel the moldings look great but if the back lowers of the fenders flare a bit outwards (common tendency on A bodies even when new) or rust-bodywork bulges out that area the repops will distort as they are forced to mount concave.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to north For This Useful Post: