67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

"if this is the auto ra4 that i am remembering, when did it regain its original engine?"

====
Gary,

If you are talking about the 69 auto IV TA, good question. I am not sure on that front. In the Indy 2011 Mecum ad -no mention- of matching numbers was given, which to me usually equates to a non-matching numbers car (i.e. why not mention it?) That said, some PY members here stated that the car did have its matching block. I simply have no detailed knowledge either way on this car.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
I dont think he was talking about the subject car
Okay, my error. At least I got my post count up 1 more.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Any of you guys have or ever done one of these cars? I almost feel like I shouldn't finish mine, the numbers that you guys are talking! True the #s look bad, but these cars aren't available every day. If you try to get that car done ASAP, it's going to cost alot more money, and to top it off the market is soft for resale.
I want to finish my car and I'm probably going to sell it when I'm done- therefor there's no emergency for me to get it done right now (bad market reasons).
Very commonly profit is factored into the cost of restoration on rare cars. I guess because most guys buy these cars with the thought that they will sell them shortly after completion.
But what the guys that spend way too much money to get any NOS part for their, 65-67 GTO or a base Judge (just examples, don't hit me). Those guys will never make a profit on those cars! Mostly because they don't really intend to sell them. Just ask Jim M. at PHS about his Plum 67 RA Bird.
Ultimately the question that you have to ask is, are you buying it to keep or make a reasonably quick profit on? There are still guys out there that would just love to own / collect a car like this with little to no for-thought of an impending resale.
Just a thought, but I sure that some will prove me wrong.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Suspended

No need to worry about this one anymore-it has been sold.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought it didn't sell because it didn't meet reserve.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Does your insight of sale also know the trading value? This same car was for sale privately not that long ago for - I believe an asking price of 60K. What did they take for it in this market?
By the way folks, if you have spare money, NOW is a great time to buy property or rare cars! Probably less taxes on the cars though.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsgtos2 View Post
No need to worry about this one anymore-it has been sold.
Congrats

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! I think this is a great car,and will do very well when your done. I think it is worth more than a Trans Am.You NEVER see any of these!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Suspended

If not the most-this car has to be near the top of loaded RAIV Firebirds-and a 4 speed to boot. I think I counted 26 options.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

The words "loaded" and "RA IV"....

Anyone else have a problem with that? ;-)

Congrats Greg, should turn out killer (esp finished out in Raider colors).

Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
if this is the auto ra4 that i am remembering, when did it regain its original engine?
ok,sorry i should have been more specific. i was referring to the 69 t/a auto that was at the auction that was referred to as having body panels replaced.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So where are you Matt??
We both know there's only one righteous '69 RAIV 'Bird out there!! Right?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Rick , thanks for the compliment. Its a great car and I'm very lucky to have it as you well know .
This silver car will now take the trip back to becoming a real ram air iv car again . Its going to a owner who will seek out the most correct and original raiv parts that are available and will do a outstanding restoration just as we have seen him do many times before .Congratulations and also hats off to Greg for having the ba**s to take on these rare and desireable projects especially when some guys on here have nothing to say but negative garbage about these cars because parts are missing or they have been repaired in some way and or make it their life mission to uncover anything they can about these highly sought after cars to feed their ego and their gossip page all while gutlessly hiding behind a computer screen .

Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Hi Rick , thanks for the compliment. Its a great car and I'm very lucky to have it as you well know .
This silver car will now take the trip back to becoming a real ram air iv car again . Its going to a owner who will seek out the most correct and original raiv parts that are available and will do a outstanding restoration just as we have seen him do many times before .Congratulations and also hats off to Greg for having the ba**s to take on these rare and desireable projects especially when some guys on here have nothing to say but negative garbage about these cars because parts are missing or they have been repaired in some way and or make it their life mission to uncover anything they can about these highly sought after cars to feed their ego and their gossip page all while gutlessly hiding behind a computer screen .
Bravo! You said it perfectly!!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Thanks Matt. Bought an original RAIV engine today out of another 69 RAIV bird. Believe it or not-it was also silver with a black vinyl top and a 4 speed. Complete WH minus carb and distributor. Will pick the car up this week. Sure getting tired of driving back and forth to the east coast-just bought and picked up a 69 RAIV Judge in Jersey last Thursday. 2-69 RAIV cars in 5 days-bet that doesnt happen too often.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
So where are you Matt??
We both know there's only one righteous '69 RAIV 'Bird out there!! Right?
please elaborate on this comment.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
please elaborate on this comment.
I'll let Matt fill in the details if he chooses to, other than to say that he has a '69 RAIV Firebird that I owned many years ago. It is a low mile unrestored car and IMHO, has to be one of the nicest on the planet! I say this because, although there are a few mint, restored '69 RAIV 'Birds out there, they can only be original once. My personal preference is for an original, unrestored car, patina & all,...so I'm a bit biased.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures Greg - that is if you plan on posting them.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, which is not much, my 69 LeMans came out of that same original dealer.

Also the $905 for a RAIV is striking. That was a huge piece of change in 69, no wonder they are rare!

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
I'll let Matt fill in the details if he chooses to, other than to say that he has a '69 RAIV Firebird that I owned many years ago. It is a low mile unrestored car and IMHO, has to be one of the nicest on the planet! I say this because, although there are a few mint, restored '69 RAIV 'Birds out there, they can only be original once. My personal preference is for an original, unrestored car, patina & all,...so I'm a bit biased.
please fill in the details matt.