WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dim digital display

Figured I'd post this here before going to one of the other big boards.

My digital displays have gotten very dim so that they can hardly be read when I start the car in the morning. Funny thing is after driving to work and back (70 miles round trip) they gradually get darker and almost back to normal by the time I pull it back in the garage in the evening.

Original 2006 owner with 60K miles, essentially stock except for the radio. Car is not driven that often lately, maybe once a week or so to work and an occasional long road-trip.

Anybody else have this problem? Know how to solve it?

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM

By dim, you mean that the LCD where it should be black, it isn't?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, the LCD numbers and letters hardly show up. Both the main display and the two small side displays are affected. Other than that everything still works perfectly. And after driving a few hours they darken up and are almost back to normal. Its been doing this for months now.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the LCD needs a contrast adjustment, that could be voltage related, or it might have a contrast adjustment "pot" on the circuit board. I used to see this constantly on digital printer op screens, and I have seen it on a 2006 GTO at a cruise in. I didnt follow through on the exact fix, BUT it is "contrast" related..which makes them darker and much more visible. hope that helps
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree it seems to be a voltage issue, but strange that the contrast darkens back up after driving a while. I wouldn't expect the voltage on the board to change gradually over time.

Thinking about it now, maybe I'll check the battery. The car is starting just fine but its been in there at least 4 years now. Maybe voltage is low after sitting and something on the board needs time to "recharge"?

I am a whole lot better at working on the old cars- no electronics!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
I agree it seems to be a voltage issue, but strange that the contrast darkens back up after driving a while. I wouldn't expect the voltage on the board to change gradually over time.

Thinking about it now, maybe I'll check the battery. The car is starting just fine but its been in there at least 4 years now. Maybe voltage is low after sitting and something on the board needs time to "recharge"?

I am a whole lot better at working on the old cars- no electronics!
Now that I think about it, the LCD screen should have its own battery ( think small calculator with a LCD screen). There may be an "on board" battery that is replaceable on the circuit board as well. Its possible the car logic board voltage is slightly charging the battery in the board, OR the LCD is warming in temp, which can affect the contrast.