Old 12-19-2021, 02:17 AM

Question 76 Ventura 350 Head Bolts

Hi everyone. I am new. I have had my Ventura for 10 years now.
It started overheating so I took the heads off and had them gone through, but as I was putting them back on today, the new head bolts that I ordered are not the correct length or the correct number. Looks like I got a sbc kit. I have double checked my order and it was supposed to be for this motor, but I am having trouble finding the right kit.
From the old ones, I have 6 longer bolts (3-7/8") and 4 shorter bolts (2-5/8") for each side. I can't seem to find the right kit on any site. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First off why did the motor over heat, from a failed head gasket?
New bolt wise you need a ARP kit 190-3607 , this kit can also be had from Jim Butler performance.
Note that I am assuming you have iron D port heads which this kit is for.

For any head bolt or stud to clamp the head gasket as needed the head bolt threads must be clean enough to allow the bolts to thread in easily by lite finger strength.
If you have to fight to get them in and bottomed out you will never get a accurate torque setting on them.

To get this done you need to buy a 1/2” course bottom tap.
These have no taper and will get to the bottom of the hole to clean them out.
With whatever bolts you use they need to stick out thru the bottom of the head with a gasket in place by 3/4” to grab enough threads to do there job.
The ARPs come with there own lube and be sure to use some under the head of the bolt where it contacts the head or the head washer if you bolt pick uses such.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any reason why you don't want to reuse your original OEM head bolts?

Old 12-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
Any reason why you don't want to reuse your original OEM head bolts?
x2.. for an average street motor the original bolts can be reused a 2nd time for sure, some will frown upon using them a 3rd or 4th time but countless people have done & do it with no issues. i have reused original bolts a 2nd or 3rd time in good shape on at least 5 different engines & never had any problems. get a good head gasket & the originals will be fine & save you some $.

Last edited by 78w72; 12-19-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And you will still have the bolt studs for various things like A/C brackets.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In theory, if the original bolts have not been over-torqued they are infinitely reusable. We all know real life is a bit different than theory but I wouldn't hesitate to reuse a stock set of head bolts as long as they all came out without a struggle and are in good shape (not corroded, no damaged threads).

As steve25 says, run a thread cleaning tap down the holes in the block and you should be good to go. Here is what you need for that:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=24891

When reinstalling the old bolts, pay attention to how they feel when torquing them. if any of them feel "mushy" and take significantly more turns than others to come up to torque once they start tightening, then you probably want to replace them, but I'm betting they'll be fine.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arp 3607 is what your looking for I think. As said the stock bolts would work and have the studs on some you need if going stock. Good luck with it.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice original Pontiac head bolts are what many of us have used for decades on restoration builds with engine builds with considerably more hp than "average performance engine" builds.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all the reply’s!!
It overheated after losing water out of a failed freeze plug on one of the heads… happened faster than I noticed.
I had trouble getting one of the head bolts out, due to some corrosion on one of the bolt heads, that was the main reason I ordered some. I’d say I usually put new bolts just to be safe. The bolts I have probably can just be reused though. Thanks for all the great comments!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The new bolts will likely not have the stud on the top that's needed to bolt down the negative battery cable .

You may need a new longer cable to get it bolted down in another location.

The best place is on of the block side motor mount bolts close to the starter.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
First off why did the motor over heat, from a failed head gasket?
New bolt wise you need a ARP kit 190-3607 , this kit can also be had from Jim Butler performance.
Note that I am assuming you have iron D port heads which this kit is for.

For any head bolt or stud to clamp the head gasket as needed the head bolt threads must be clean enough to allow the bolts to thread in easily by lite finger strength.
If you have to fight to get them in and bottomed out you will never get a accurate torque setting on them.

To get this done you need to buy a 1/2” course bottom tap.
These have no taper and will get to the bottom of the hole to clean them out.
With whatever bolts you use they need to stick out thru the bottom of the head with a gasket in place by 3/4” to grab enough threads to do there job.
The ARPs come with there own lube and be sure to use some under the head of the bolt where it contacts the head or the head washer if you bolt pick uses such.
The thread pitch is 1/2-13. ARP recommends using a cleaning tap verses a bottoming tap, as the cleaning tap removes no metal.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-21-2021, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Nice original Pontiac head bolts are what many of us have used for decades on restoration builds with engine builds with considerably more hp than "average performance engine" builds.
OP never said whether his engine was a Pontiac or Buick 350.
I suppose the 6 long bolts, 4 short bolts could be an indication of a PMD head, but I'm not up to speed on that.

If his engine is a Buick, the ARP part numbers posted above may be inaccurate.