Old 04-15-2024, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default QUESTIONS ON ADDING EFI TO MY '66 389 GTO

I have a question for this forum.
I have 1966 389 tri-power engine right now in my GTO.
It has been bored out to a 400. no crazy cams.
Basically a stock engine when it was built by my engine guy.

I would like an EFI tri-power carb set.
Questions:
1. Do I need a new intake?
2. What kind of fuel pump would I need?
3. Would my stock gas tank work? Do I need a return line?
4. Does any one have this set up on their 66 GTO tri-power?
5. What would be the best EFI tri-power?

Thanks guys.
sorry for so many questions.
I know i have more.

Thanks,
FB66

Old 04-16-2024, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

To my knowledge there are only currently two tri-power EFI kits on the market. FiTech and AutoTrend. I don't know a lot about AutoTrend, but they cater traditionally to high end street rods. Their hardware is probably similar to the FiTech, but I have no clue on what kind of engine management they use. If you're going to a stock carbureted type look in an EFI Tri-Power package, the AutoTrend will probably look the part a bit better. That said, expect to probably pay at least double what the FiTech system goes for.

I've answered your other questions belwo.

1. Do I need a new intake? You shouldn't need a new intake and on a stockish engine I wouldn't mess with anything aftermarket.

2. What kind of fuel pump would I need? You should use a quality in-tank pump. For a stockish 389 I would use a TI Automotive Walbro 255. Make sure to buy from an authorized distributor, there's lots of counterfits of these pumps.

3. Would my stock gas tank work? Do I need a return line? It will work, but it's not the best option for an in-tank pump. If you decide to modify the original tank, I would look at something like the Tanks Inc PA series which adds a small, but important internal sump. There is also the Aeromotive Phantom kit which is decent if this car is only a cruiser and isn't seeing strong drag strip runs or lots of turns. Resist the urge to try and use a frame-mounted fuel pump or one of those under-hood auxiliary reservoirs. In regards to a return line, plan on running new fuel lines front to back. You'll want something in the 3/8" or -6AN size. For either the FiTech or AutoTrend setup you'll need a fuel pressure regulator as well. I don't know what pressure the AutoTrend unit runs on, but the FiTech runs on 4bar pressure (58psi). That means you can run the "Corvette" filter and pressure regulator. That filter has the feed, regulator, filter and return built in to it and is an off the shelf OEM part. You can mount it near the tank and run a short return line, with a single feed line to the engine. Done correctly, you can make this type of setup look almost like factory.

4. Does any one have this set up on their 66 GTO tri-power? I see lots of the FiTech units out and about and have a FiTech myself. All of the software and hardware is primarily the same, it's just in a different form factor. I also see the AutoTrend stuff on a lot of cars around here by virtue of being located close to Pinkees Hot Rod Shop. I have no direct experience with their systems however. My FiTech has been on my car and running for a decade.

5. What would be the best EFI tri-power? I wouldn't hesitate to go with the FiTech Tri Power setup. The only thing that would steer me to spend more on the AutoTrend is if there was a need to get as close as possible to the factory type look. I would take the money saved there and put it towards a brand new fuel system that included a new EFI ready fuel tank from somebody like Tanks Inc or Rick's Tanks and a well thought out and installed fuel system.

I can't emphasize this enough, it's the fuel system that makes or breaks these things. 90% of the problems that come up with these TBI units is related to improper installation and poor half-assed fuel systems.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW! Jason,
Thank you very much! That was very kind of you to provide very detailed information.
I need to start my shopping list.
I am sure I will have more questions later.
Thanks
FB66

Old 04-16-2024, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW! Jason,
Thank you very much! That was very kind of you to provide very detailed information.
I need to start my shopping list.
I am sure I will have more questions later.
Thanks
FB66

Old 04-16-2024, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the FI Tech tripower have rochester carb bases? Or is it set of for the Holley 2 barrels like the new aluminum tri-power intakes?

Normally I tell people that aftermarket fuel injection does not make economic sense IF you are only using it as a carb replacement. Meaning that if you arent going to take advantage of the other perks like spark control, or electronic overdrive control, I wouldn't do it.

However, the tri power set up might be an exception to the rule when you consider how pricey tri-power carbs are, and how easy it is to buy the wrong ones and end up with a boondoggle. That might be a situation where it makes sense to go FI even if its just a carb replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're not wedded to a tri-power setup, I just put a Holley Sniper 2 on my 66 GTO with hyperspark. I used the holley muscle car fuel module which is all in tank with a hydramat and wired/tuned it all up myself. The car has never driven better and was super simple to do.

If you are wedded to it, I think Tin Indian Performance does a kit for tri-power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3539.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	632199  

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Tin Indian uses the FiTech system on their TriPower setups that last I knew. I don't think it's a one-off part.

The FiTech TriPower is supposed to be a Holley 2300 flange. However, there are reports that this isn't quite right. I believe they likely made the throttle bodies in such a way as to try and achieve fitment on most make tri-power and six packs. Depending on the setup of the intake manifold, it may be necessary to enlarge the bolt holes on the throttle bodies to get them to sit correctly.

Tin Indian would actually be a good shop to discuss this with, and possibly even purchase the setup from. They've done a lot of testing on this and they've got a lot of parts for it, including some adapter plates as well.