EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 03-26-2024, 10:56 AM

Default EFI on '67 GTO 400ci

Looking at an edelbrock Go Pro 4 system for my wife's '67 GTO. Her car is running a slightly modified 400 Pontiac. I want something dependable that she can drive without issues. Is this a good choice?

Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

If you are in to replacing the intake and distributor, then sure. Decent deal for their kit.

But a lot simpler to just add a fitech on the car. I prefer Fitech over Holley efi kits as all fitech replacement parts are just GM/VW etc parts that can be sourced at any parts store. The Holley units have proprietary parts on their throttle body.

Then you need a new fuel delivery system too. But for a driver, well worth the investment going EFI.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Don Johnston at DCI swears by the Go Pro 4 system and uses it in many of his builds.

The ECU is a nice piece and the system uses quality OE grade harness connectors etc. Considering you get an intake manifold and distributor along with the system, the price point is really decent.

I have run a FiTech 30001 system for over 10 years. It's been incredibly dependable. In that time the only thing I've had to replace relating to the system was the main harness connector. The very early units underestimated the fuel pump amp draw and had an undersized connector and fuel pump wiring. I replaced the connector with a GM weatherpack connector. That cost $40.00 and took an hour of my time to replace. Otherwise the system has functioned flawlessly for 10 years and about 30,000 miles.

Most of these entry level EFI systems all have the capability to work well and last a long time. The installation and the fuel system is vitally important for that though. You should plan on completely redoing the fuel system from the tank forward. You want an EFI ready fuel tank with an internal sump, a quality fuel pump in that tank and I still prefer to run a supply and return line from the tank to the engine and back. Stay away from frame mount in-line pump systems or those reservoir systems you add to your factory fuel system. The tank and in-tank pump will initially cost a little more, but you'll thank yourself when you don't have to mess with inadequate fuel.

You should also take care of any electrical issues the car may have before installing an EFI system. If you have any charging issues, electronics that are non-functional, corroded wiring etc., all of that needs to be taken care of first. Adding EFI to a car with poor electrical will cause more headaches than it's worth.

Then make sure the exhaust is in good shape with no leaks. This is another critical item to success with EFI. Exhaust leaks prior to the oxygen sensor or within about 18" behind the sensor will create a poor running system.

If you've got a good foundation to start with and don't cut corners on the install, I think going with a Pro Flow 4, Sniper, FiTech, FAST etc are all going to do what you want them to do.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Don Johnston at DCI swears by the Go Pro 4 system and uses it in many of his builds.

The ECU is a nice piece and the system uses quality OE grade harness connectors etc. Considering you get an intake manifold and distributor along with the system, the price point is really decent.

I have run a FiTech 30001 system for over 10 years. It's been incredibly dependable. In that time the only thing I've had to replace relating to the system was the main harness connector. The very early units underestimated the fuel pump amp draw and had an undersized connector and fuel pump wiring. I replaced the connector with a GM weatherpack connector. That cost $40.00 and took an hour of my time to replace. Otherwise the system has functioned flawlessly for 10 years and about 30,000 miles.

Most of these entry level EFI systems all have the capability to work well and last a long time. The installation and the fuel system is vitally important for that though. You should plan on completely redoing the fuel system from the tank forward. You want an EFI ready fuel tank with an internal sump, a quality fuel pump in that tank and I still prefer to run a supply and return line from the tank to the engine and back. Stay away from frame mount in-line pump systems or those reservoir systems you add to your factory fuel system. The tank and in-tank pump will initially cost a little more, but you'll thank yourself when you don't have to mess with inadequate fuel.

You should also take care of any electrical issues the car may have before installing an EFI system. If you have any charging issues, electronics that are non-functional, corroded wiring etc., all of that needs to be taken care of first. Adding EFI to a car with poor electrical will cause more headaches than it's worth.

Then make sure the exhaust is in good shape with no leaks. This is another critical item to success with EFI. Exhaust leaks prior to the oxygen sensor or within about 18" behind the sensor will create a poor running system.

If you've got a good foundation to start with and don't cut corners on the install, I think going with a Pro Flow 4, Sniper, FiTech, FAST etc are all going to do what you want them to do.
As always, a knowledgeable, informed, understandable, objective response. This post will effectively eliminate ninety percent of the headaches for novices if they take heed. Thank you! I always appreciate your "no nonsense" approaches whether it be suspension, driveability, braking, handling........you know your ****.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Edelbrock setup is tune limited to just really basic stuff so as long as you're ok with that and the engine is a mild build it'll work fine.

As far as the sniper stuff goes from Holley I'm not sure where the rumor started about proprietary parts but that's not the case. They use the same IAT, TPS stuff that gm and Chrysler uses. I can go to any parts store and buy what ever I may need.
In fact the Holley site even provides the replacement part numbers so no reason to base your choices on that.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: