Old 09-07-2022, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 TA Location of backup and neutral safety switch wires

I have the under the dash wiring schematic for the 79 Trans Am and I am wiring in the Neutral Safety and backup light switches for an aftermarket B & M Rachet shifter. I need help finding the stock switch and wire locations.

I would like to find the actual stock switch locations to bypass the stock switches. I have to disengage the stock neutral safety switch as, currently, if the steering column collar is moved out of the park position - no power to ignition switch.

Per the schematic:
I am looking for purple/white wire from ignition switch to neutral safety switch - purple out to harness from neutral switch - where is the switch location?

Backup lights - I am looking for Pink/black wire into backup switch and Light green wire from backup switch to harness out to backup lights. Where is that switch to bypass. Otherwise, where is the best location to tap into the light green backup light wire?

Old 09-07-2022, 08:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On top of the steering column. Could drop the column to get better access but if I recall you can reach both from underneath

Brian
Old 09-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This may help some

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=852156

Brian
Old 09-08-2022, 12:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Bhill86
Great info and link to other post.
Attached is a photo of my switch with only the Backup wires available.
It was easy to get the photo because the dash is out and the column is already lowered.
Apparently, I have a schematic from 78 and earlier and that the neutral safety switch is mechanical - inside the column on my 79.
I guess so much for being able to wire in the neutral safety switch on the shifter.

I can live with the collar on the column needing to be in the park position however does anyone have any ideas about an electrical override of the stock system so I cant start the car when it is in gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2886[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	598041  

Old 09-08-2022, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the picture with the backup switch circled in yellow. There is no neutral safety switch teminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup switch 79 TA.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	598042  

Old 09-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That’s right, I’m sorry I forgot in 79 they switched to a mechanical lockout. Though it’s odd, the wiring diagrams I have show neutral safety switch wiring. Anyway, you should be able to interrupt the purple wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Brian
Old 09-08-2022, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Brian,
Thanks for your help. That was my thought also, to just run the ignition hot wire through the shifter neutral switch.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just for clarification, not the ignition hot. The solenoid wire so cranking would be prevented. I believe it should be purple but don’t quote me on that.

Brian
Old 09-09-2022, 12:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To Clarify what I meant by ignition hot- is hot when the key is turned to the only start position. When the key is turned to start it should apply 12 volts to the solenoid wire - looks to be purple/white wire on my schematic from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch (which the 79 does not have) - from there it is purple on the schematic into the bulkhead connector. From the bulkhead connector to the terminal on the starter solenoid it is purple. This purple wire might be difficult to locate out of the steering column.