Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-02-2022, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trans experts what broke?

It appears we broke something in the Trans in our GP. We only have 1st gear nothing else. Just curious what might have broke.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does reverse and park work?

Old 10-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Does reverse and park work?
No reverse, I assume park works car hasn't rolled away yet. It sounds like it's hard to get shifter to move also. I'm not there so just relaying info that I'm being told.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know much about transmissions. I know reverse and first work together. I know if first and park work the shifter cable is still hooked up.... Hopefully someone else can add to the conversation.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone?

Old 10-04-2022, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only 1st gear says: Front Pump, FWD pack working. Gotta Asume a TH400.

If only 1st and stuck in 1st: Vacuum line fell off, cracked hose, or messed-up Vacuum Modulator.

If only 1st and goes to neutral: INT pack failure(rare), Hard-Parts failure, or low fluid level, clooged filter.

Would like to say Direct Pack failure, buuut scant info.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post

If only 1st and stuck in 1st: Vacuum line fell off, cracked hose, or messed-up Vacuum Modulator.

If only 1st and goes to neutral: INT pack failure(rare), Hard-Parts failure, or low fluid level, clooged filter.

Thank you. Good info

Old 10-04-2022, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
It appears we broke something in the Trans in our GP. We only have 1st gear nothing else. Just curious what might have broke.
WHAT TRANSMISSION? WHAT YEAR? Is this an automatic, or manual trans? Could you be more vague, or provide less information? The first GPs had the ancient four-speed Hydramatic. The latest ones had a 4T60E, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post

IF this is a TH400 (or--I think--a 350, but it's been forever since I've had one of those opened up) and in addition to what HIS has already said...

Governor problems would explain no 2nd or 3rd; but wouldn't explain "no reverse" or difficulty moving the shifter.

"I" would investigate the difficulty moving the shift lever FIRST. Maybe the manual valve isn't being moved properly by the shift lever.

The only friction material engaged in first gear, "Drive" range, is the Forward clutch. So clearly that's engaged (although it could be burnt-up so badly that the plates have warped and won't release. That'd eliminate reverse but the engine RPM would still be reduced--the trans would be "in gear" but the trans would be locked-up so the vehicle wouldn't move. "Neutral" would effectively be "first gear", engine still loaded and the vehicle wanting to drive away, and "Park" would also have the engine loaded, "in gear" but unable to move due to the park pawl. But you're not complaining about any of that.) Second gear adds the Intermediate clutch; that may not be working. Third gear adds the Direct clutch. The Direct clutch also engages in reverse; a failure there takes out both 3rd and Reverse, but wouldn't affect 2nd.

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-05-2022 at 12:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry yes it's a TH400.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The first thing you do when having shifting issues on a T400 is jack it up and have someone down there checking shift linkage position as you go through every gear.
It does not take much to have issues.