Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-30-2000, 01:39 AM

I'm planning on running my 400 outside of the
car on a custom engine cradle my friend and I are fabricating. I am running the engine without the transmission just so I can double check everything and see how it sounds instead of finding out after the engine is already bolted in the car. Since I'll be running it for 5 minute intervals I don't plan on hooking up the pulleys and am hoping this won't cause the engine to overheat? It is a short period of time. Anything I should pay close attention to while doing this?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-30-2000, 01:39 AM

I'm planning on running my 400 outside of the
car on a custom engine cradle my friend and I are fabricating. I am running the engine without the transmission just so I can double check everything and see how it sounds instead of finding out after the engine is already bolted in the car. Since I'll be running it for 5 minute intervals I don't plan on hooking up the pulleys and am hoping this won't cause the engine to overheat? It is a short period of time. Anything I should pay close attention to while doing this?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-30-2000, 10:45 AM

Maniac, I would not recommend running the engine for even very short periods of time <2 min. without a radiator, and working water pump. You run a good chance of damaging the head gasket with excessive heat, or other engine parts. It just is not worth the chance of damaging a new engine.

I know some drag racers run engines without coolant, but those are short lifetime engines, usually with copper head gaskets, etc.

If you are going to do it, why not do it right? Use a radiator (& fan), and have all of the front end accessories hooked up- that way you can easily make sure that the belt alignment is good, etc. Just use water in the cooling system during the run-in. Hook up a tach, water temp, oil pressure, ignition and a starter button on a small control panel, and that way you can run it as long as you want on the stand.

Good luck.

K.

Old 05-30-2000, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a customer do the same thing, except he ran a hose down the water neck, after about 1/2 of running & off and on starts, he's bitchin about constant smoking, Duh, I wonder why. Hello,Mcfly? You can't reverse cool an engine unless you design it that way. Hellava fight comming, I can see it now. Trying to explain how the passages around the block are drilled for flow. BOTTOM to TOP! Back to Front. If your gonna build a stand then don't slack. do it right, it taint that much harder. later, dude

Old 05-30-2000, 04:29 PM

Hey, Maniac

I have a Pontiac Engine Test Stand. Has radiator, Gas tank, gage panel, battery, exhaust pipes and mufflers, remote throttle, etc. You are welcome to use it if you'd like(it's over in Benton City and you can use it there or take it home). Ran my 389 in on it and it works fine. Setting emty right now.

Contact me if you are interested.
(588-4627)

Old 05-30-2000, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Ed, pull the mufflers,cause in his profile it say's he listens to heavy metal so he's deaf anyway. Later.

Old 05-30-2000, 11:47 PM

Lol, I'm not completely deaf yet! But getting there. I guess the music I listen to keeps the generation gap wider than ever with my dad and I. No offense but I cannot stomach 50's music. My dad's favorite song is Louie Louie by the Kingsmen and he tries to convince me that there are actually lyrics. I remind him that everytime he heard that song he was either drunk at a college party or in some other state of mind.

Anyway, I'd be very greatful to use your engine test stand Ed. I have the whole weekend open to test my engine so I'll give you a buzz Wednesday or Thursday and most likely plan on stopping by Friday. I don't know if you've been to Dan's Auto Garage here in town but I'm gonna stop by there tommorrow and find a pulley that will fit that balancer. Then I'll be ready to hook everything up.

I'm curious to see how much of a difference I've made to the stock power numbers of 265hp and 400lbs of torque. I was really surprised how well the car would move with that mild block with a starving 2 barrel. My friend Mark is attending the Vocational school here in town in a diesel class and his teacher knows a guy out in Pasco who has a chassis dyno, so I may get to see how much power it's putting to the pavement.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-30-2000, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are really young aren't you. Louie Louie by the Kingsman was from the 60's. Long live Rock and Roll.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-31-2000, 03:55 AM

Lol I know it's from the 60's, guess I should have seperated the sentences instead of keeping it in the same one with 50's music. Oh well. I'm almost 19 so yeah I guess I'm young compared to you guys lol. I give my dad a bad time about his dinosaur rock but there are a few groups he likes that I don't mind listening to like Kiss, Deep purple, Dire straits, Hendrix of course, and Tom Petty. I swear I've had to listen to the Traveling Wilburry's on every single trip I've taken with him, that or the Beatles. He doesn't care much for Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, or Mercyful Fate lol. I guess I'll be sh*t out of luck at the Pontiac events since people will probably giving me strange looks when they hear the rest of the music I listen to. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-31-2000, 08:07 AM

maniac,not all poncho lovers are oldies freaks. but i think that stuff is mandatory at shows because there's always an old guy running the sound booth. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2000, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Wow......You're 19 and don't listen to "Yo, MTV Raps? and wear your hat backwards and say "yo, wassup?"

There's hope yet..........

Old 05-31-2000, 07:03 PM

What a challenge. I think I have some '30's country CDs around. When you come over, I'll play them and see if I can drive you up the wall.

Ed

Old 06-01-2000, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed.Twaing,twaing,twaing, yoodle,yoodle,yoodle, I'd even go nuts, being brought up on Led Zepplin, Hendrix, Cream, & of course, My favorite dude, Frank Zappa. Used to live at the Electric Factory in Philly, back in the late 60's. Stoner days,( but as Clinton said, I didn't inhale): So that's what's wrong with me... Opp's talking to my self again..............but now I'm starting to answer myself.............. Time for my medicine..............gotta go now...........back to my room...........bye now..........later...........see-ya.......

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 06-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 06-01-2000).]

Old 06-01-2000, 08:17 AM

scott, somebody must've raised him right, that is unless he owns a honda and isn't telling us. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill