Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-30-2000, 04:16 PM
Senior Chief

My '65 came with a stock original Carter 4bbl and it seems to work, uhhh, ok. I get a part throttle stumble and the big adjustment in the middle of the front of the carb, (what is it anyway?), won't fix it. I am horribly Carter illiterate. Any tips and suggetions for smoothing it out?

This is the carb setup I will be using as I am keeping the stock drivetrain in it till the car gets back from the body shop and the engine rebuild is done.

Which reminds me, the shop is totalling the bill for the engine machine work as I post this. Think positive thoughts!

Old 05-30-2000, 04:16 PM
Senior Chief

My '65 came with a stock original Carter 4bbl and it seems to work, uhhh, ok. I get a part throttle stumble and the big adjustment in the middle of the front of the carb, (what is it anyway?), won't fix it. I am horribly Carter illiterate. Any tips and suggetions for smoothing it out?

This is the carb setup I will be using as I am keeping the stock drivetrain in it till the car gets back from the body shop and the engine rebuild is done.

Which reminds me, the shop is totalling the bill for the engine machine work as I post this. Think positive thoughts!

Old 05-31-2000, 08:26 AM

the center adj on the carter is your air fuel mixture[idle]. it sounds like you need to put an accelerator pump in the carb. if it still has a leather pump in it i've been told by some "old timers " that mineral spirits will swell the leather back to it's origional size. personally i'd put a new pump in it. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2000, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of even the stock Carter's had different holes to put the accelerator pump linkage in to tune the pump. As was said above be sure you have a good accelerator pump first.
Closer in gives more squirt quicker.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-05-2000, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your Carter AFB should perform better than duh-OK! Often, hesitation (bog) from a stop sign is caused by faulty idle setting, however; check your accelerator pump first. The pump can easily be checked as follows: Start the engine, run at a fast idle and then kill the engine; remove the air cleaner; hold the choke plate open; FROM THE SIDE (prevents gas in the eyes) look into the primary area of the carburetor and observe the pump jet; operate the throttle. You should observe twin squirts of gasoline from the pump jet. If not, clean the entire pump circuit. If yes, check the idle setting. The AFB's using the center air bleed screw can be easily modified by drilling the throttle positioner boss, tapping a 10x32 hole, and inserting a conventional idle screw. After performing this modification, turn the center air bleed all the way to the closed (clockwise) position, set the idle mixture screws at 1 and 1/4 turns, and adjust the curb idle with the throttle positioner screw just installed.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.