Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-16-2024, 05:14 PM

Default First car fire....what to do now?---still shaking

I was trying to install the power steering pump and I had a scary fire in my 69 Lemans. I forgot to disconnect the battery cables and I dropped the power steering pump onto a live junction. That stupid junction is a hot spot that provides constant 12V. It started sparking and flaming almost immediately. I looked underneath the car and a cable was red-not . I disconnected the battery cables and looked underneath the car and saw the underside on fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire underneath the car.

My question is how do i safely get the car back on the road. should i rely on a pro to go through the wiring? would you get the insurance company involved.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pictures of the damaged area and wires would help with that. Probably replace the wires between the battery and the place where the pump caused the short. Also look for heat damaged insulation.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That really sucks and I can imagine pretty scary. But, at least you were prepared (fire extinguisher) and were not injured and your house didn't burn down.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 03-16-2024, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah. I had a fuse inline on one of those wires from the alternator. I also dropped the power steering pump against it. Brief fireworks and the fuse went. Was a little later that I found that I'd also done in the fusible link that powers the headlights...

Wiring sucks. Glad the car is OK. Take it step by step...

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 03-16-2024, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Power wash everything lots of soapy water
Gotta get the extinguisher off
Its very very corrosive
Wash wash wash
Any way to get it outside and back in??

I cannhelp with real factory nice 69 harnesses if needed

Bummer but your very fortunate
You didnt burn yourself
Or have more collateral damage

Sometimes the shifter cable if yours is an automatic also melt and you won’t be able to shift it from inside the car, the other ground on the back of the head often can be compromised also

Wash anything chrome or bare metal

Soray w wd40

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the car was not running the charred wires you will need to replace are all on the high current cranking side of the electrical system since the ignition key was not in the run position.

Both battery cables will need to get replaced .

The battery hot wire that runs thru the steel tube down to the starter is likely melted to the inside of that tube.

The wire running from the starter up to the coil that provides a full 12 volts when cranking needs to be inspected as does the wire from the ignition switch that powers the starter solenoid.
Both of these are two small gauge wires in the harness that goes down to the starter.

When everything is reassembled and before you hook the battery back up confirm with a volt ohm meter that from the end of the battery hot cable ( red) to the motor that there is a open circuit and then all should be good to go.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-17-2024, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I carry 3 extinguishers. I always am concerned about fires. I have been a fireman. Glad no one was hurt. Glad your car and garage are ok.

Last edited by sdbob; 03-17-2024 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Add words
The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding your question about involving insurance company...I guess it would depend on what coverage you have and the deductible.

Also consider what may happen to your rates and if there is risk of unexpected consequences. Insurance is not your friend. I view them as a necessary evil and they are in business to make money, any way they can reduce liability or recover their expenses, they likely will. (Geez, I sound so cynical )

Glad to hear you were not hurt and car can be repaired.

This is a good reminder to all. There are many repair operations that should have the battery connection opened before starting, and many (me included) skip that step to save time.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Regarding your question about involving insurance company...I guess it would depend on what coverage you have and the deductible.

Also consider what may happen to your rates and if there is risk of unexpected consequences. Insurance is not your friend. I view them as a necessary evil and they are in business to make money, any way they can reduce liability or recover their expenses, they likely will. (Geez, I sound so cynical )

Glad to hear you were not hurt and car can be repaired.

This is a good reminder to all. There are many repair operations that should have the battery connection opened before starting, and many (me included) skip that step to save time.
I once had some (what turned out to be) minor water damage to a home I owned due to a wind/rain storm. I was always taught to notify your insurance company immediately of any damage from a storm. So that's what I did. It turned out the problems were minor and easily repaired without insurance. But, my company raised my rate anyway, just because I reported damage, even with no claim.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 04:23 PM

thanks all, your advice is always appreciated!!!